Management / Administration
Town of Vermilion
ACCOUNTABILITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Finance will report to the Chief Administrative Officer and play an integral role in the Town’s Administrative team.
The Director of Finance will have accountability and responsibility for all functions related to financial reporting, accounting, budgeting, payroll, revenue collection, expenditure control, human resources and procurement. This position provides overall direction and leadership for these functions, with an emphasis on developing and implementing strategic goals and delivery of service. The position is responsible for the stewardship for the financial assets and human resources, and provides strategic advice to CAO and Council on municipal finance and financial stability.
- Participate in and contribute to the leadership and direction of the senior administration team.
- Direct accounting policies, procedures and internal controls related to financial and administrative services, and recommend progressive and responsive policies, procedures, systems, and investments.
- Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate.
- Lead annual budgets and compliance with policy and operating agreements.
- Develop and maintains financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable and receivable, credit control and petty cash.
- Prepare quarterly financial reports and identify variances.
- Compile Annual Financial Statements and coordinate annual external audit to comply with statutory reporting requirements.
- Oversee proper cost controls, recording of payment and revenues, expenditures and bank reconciliation.
- Oversee Human Resources including succession planning, talent acquisition, policy and program review and development (e.g. benefits, wage grids…etc.), and performance management.
- Advise on procurement procedures, systems, and agreements.
- Work with CAO, Mayor and Council to address matters of importance to the Town, and help set vision and direction.
- Maintain an open and supportive relationship with CAO, Administration, Mayor and Council ensuring parties are kept current on Town operations, achievements, and matters relevant to finance.
- Monitor and advise on matters associated with risk, legal, finance, policy, business development, infrastructure, projects, safety, staff, environment, and community.
- As required or may be prudent, attend Council meetings and other related committee or stakeholder meetings.
- Participate and engage in community events and activities.
- Foster, promote and facilitate positive customer services, collaboration, partnerships, innovation, accountability, and recognition.
- Maintain current knowledge on relevant legislation e.g. Municipal Government Act reporting requirements and granting avenues / opportunities.
- Manage and address accounting or finance matters from taxpayers, citizens, organizations, and other stakeholders.
- A Post-Secondary relevant to Accounting, Commerce, Business, or a related discipline.
- Ideally a minimum of 4 years experience in a municipal government environment.
- Preference given to CPA designation.
- Strong skills with the Microsoft Office and Bellamy Accounting Software is an asset.
- Mature interpersonal and communication skills, and respectful of others.
- Strategic thinking and relationship building skills.
- Analytical skills to examine, research and assess documents / issues, and prepare a variety of reports and correspondence.
- Demonstrated senior supervisory / managerial experience with financial and budgeting processes, strategic planning, government and people relations, negotiations, communications, conflict resolution, and capital works and infrastructure.
- Takes initiative while duly assessing risk factors.
Compensation and terms of employment will be commensurate upon experience and skills. Candidates will undergo background, education, and credential checks.
Closing Date: April 30, 2020
For further information or to apply, please contact:
Ken Glover, Partner
Suite 3400, Manulife Place
10180 101 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 3S4