Capital Projects Manager
School District No. 71 (Comox Valley)
School District No. 71 (Comox Valley)
Capital Projects Manager
Term contract starting July 1, 2020
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Capital Projects Manager will be responsible for overseeing capital projects. School District 71 (SD 71) is seeking a talented management professional who will be responsible for managing the planning, implementation and completion of major capital projects and assigned major maintenance and minor capital projects development, project management, and financial management and accountability for projects.
We are looking for an approachable and collaborative leader with a solid background managing construction projects in the private or public sector, possessing a ‘can-do’ & ‘solution-oriented’ attitude. The successful applicant must demonstrate a high standard of professionalism and exercise independent judgment when evaluating project options and create an approachable and trusting environment through open communication. The applicant should be comfortable preparing and presenting reports to senior managers and managing multiple projects at a time, keeping within budgets and schedules. Responsibilities will cover a wide range of issues, requiring exceptional communications skills to effectively engage with a diverse group colleagues, staff, public and regulating authorities.
- In coordination with other managers, conduct facility assessments and prepare project priority documents.
- In coordination with district staff, conduct project consultation meetings as required.
- In coordination with district staff and consultants, manages the production of preliminary design plans and budget estimates, and manages the production of contract documents, including plans, specifications, and any other related documents.
- Ensures all necessary permits and approvals from authorities having jurisdiction are obtained.
- In coordination with district staff and consultants, administers the contract, including all contract documents such as change orders, correspondence, plans and specifications, approval documentation, contractual notices and invoices.
- Coordinate the delivery and installation of all furnishings and equipment to be incorporated into the project. Coordinates move-in by Owner where required.
- Completes regular field reviews and prepares progress reports ensuring the contract schedule is being met and the contractor’s performance is satisfactory, conforming with the contract documents.
- Attends all site meetings with contractor and consultants; directs the change order process.
- Reviews and approves all consultant and contractor progress billings, and ensures project stays within budget. Provides up-to-date computerized financial recordkeeping of all expenditures, commitments and funding received, in Microsoft Excel format.
- Ensures satisfactory project completion within the authorized budget.
- In coordination with district staff and consultants, prepares all documentation required for the Ministry of Education.
- Receives and reviews as-built drawings, maintenance manuals and other project wrap-up documents.
- Provide updates to the Director of Operations as required.
- Manage contract and legal dispute process as needed.
- Other project related duties as assigned by the Director of Operations.
The successful applicant will possess:
- At least five years of experience in construction/building retrofit projects with some responsibility for design work/preparation of contract drawings and specifications.
- Graduation in engineering, building science, applied science technologist, project management or relevant field with five plus years prior experience, or significant experience with construction projects in the education sector, including experience in project management with responsibility for contract procurement, acceptance of project deliverables, monitoring and control of cost and overseeing project schedules.
- PMP or equivalent certification would be an asset.
- Computer literacy using Microsoft Office; proficiency with computers and familiarity with construction/ project management software.
- Ability to read and understand drawings and specifications; a working knowledge of AutoCAD and Microsoft Project would be an asset.
- Outstanding communication and negotiation skills; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills; ability to develop strong cooperative relationships with staff and colleagues.
- Proven ability to respond to the public in a positive, non-adversarial, solutions-oriented approach.
- Proven ability to manage projects within a set budget.
- Team player with the ability to lead by example while demonstrating a commitment to continuous improvement through best practices and strategic planning regarding capital projects.
School District 71 (Comox Valley) is a positive, progressive and growing school district located on the east coast of Vancouver Island. It is located on the traditional territory of the K'ómoks First Nation. Located within the Comox Valley is the City of Courtenay, the Town of Comox and the Village of Cumberland; each providing their own unique services and community cultures. The Comox Valley is a desirable place to live with great ocean beaches, golf, skiing, hiking, swimming and boating. In addition, the community has strong and vibrant arts and cultural programs.
As a learning organization, we work closely with our educational partners to develop responsible, compassionate citizens and successful lifelong learners. Over 1500 employees work to provide a comprehensive educational program to approximately 8,500 students from kindergarten to Grade 12 in our 15 elementary schools, 1 middle school, 3 secondary schools, 2 alternate schools, and a distributed learning school. The District’s annual operating budget is approximately $100 million.
This vacancy is available for a three-year term contract with the possibility of an extension. The competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Applications received prior to 1:00 pm (Pacific Time), Friday, April 3rd, 2020 are assured careful consideration.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply in confidence by submitting a detailed resume with supporting documentation and three (3) professional references through https://bit.ly/2PMgRa9
The successful applicant will be subject to the terms of the Criminal Review Act. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No agencies please.
Thank you for your interest in School District 71 (Comox Valley)
An Equal Opportunity Employer