Director of Legislative and Corporate Services
City of Courtenay
Director of Legislative and Corporate ServicesThe City
The City of Courtenay is an innovative, vibrant and growing City that works together to provide opportunities and excellent services making our community a great place to live, work and do business. The City of Courtenay is proud to be a leader in Sound Municipal Asset Management practices. The City fosters a positive work environment for everyone on our team. Our organization's culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values.
Join us as the Director of Legislative and Corporate Services and you will be a key member of our Senior Management Team, reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), and leading the department responsible for the management and administration of civic elections; the business of City Council and its committees; the City’s centralized communications; and records management system including the protection of and access to City records under the FOIPPA. The Legislative and Corporate Services Department is also responsible for bylaw enforcement, legal matters, and the civic cemetery; and for directing Information Technology, Human Resources and Purchasing activities.
This position directs the overall operations of the Legislative and Corporate Services Department including the business of Council and legislative matters; legal matters including liability claims against the City; corporate communications; bylaw enforcement; administration of the civic cemetery; Information Technology, Human Resources, Purchasing, and assists in the development of corporate plans and strategies that meet the statutory requirements of the City, and the priorities of Council. .
The Director of Legislative and Corporate Services fulfils the statutory duties of corporate administration pursuant to section 148 of the Community Charter as the Corporate Officer.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- A Degree in Public Administration or other relevant discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A Certificate in Local Government Administration through the Provincial Board of Examiners
- Local Government Management Association membership
- Substantial (11 –13 years) experience in local government corporate administration with considerable related experience at a management level.
- Extensive knowledge of the acts and regulations pertaining to local government such as the Community Charter, Local Government Act, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
- Extensive knowledge in the role and functions of local government
- Extensive knowledge of Roberts' Rules of Order
- Thorough knowledge of public relations and/or organizational communication strategies
- Considerable knowledge of information technology
- Sound knowledge of budget preparation and control
- Exceptional writing skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational, time-management, research, analytical, consultative, public relations, and supervisory skills
- Ability to speak in an official capacity as a public spokesperson for long-term plans and strategic initiatives, including media and community presentations, as required;
- Ability to coordinate and respond to public inquiries promptly on behalf of the department
- Ability to effectively lead, coach, mentor, and motivate staff in a unionized environment;
- Ability to foster a results-oriented and customer-centric department culture
- Ability to represent and deal effectively with representatives of government, business, consultants, developers, the general public, City staff and Council members.
What We Offer
The opportunity to live and work in a community surrounded by natural beauty along with an attractive salary and a comprehensive benefit package including:
- A comprehensive health benefits plan
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Cumulative Sick Leave Plan
- Annual Vacation and Other Paid Leaves
- Professional Development & Training Opportunities
If your skills and abilities align with this opportunity, and you are excited about taking on a new challenge, please submit your resume and cover letter at www.courtenay.ca/jobs.
Closing Date: We will begin reviewing applications on March 30, 2020 but this position will remain open until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those short listed will be contacted.