Full-Time – Permanent Position
Town of Strathmore
The Town of Strathmore is a vibrant and progressive community of 13,000 people, located on the Trans Canada Highway 40 km east of Calgary. The community offers all amenities that appeal to a wide range of lifestyles including first class educational and recreational facilities. The Town of Strathmore provides a range of services and programs that promote the well being of the Strathmore community, “Where Quality is the Way of Life”. Striving to be a leader in municipal administration and operations, the Town has a strong and engaged team focused on delivering these services to the citizens of Strathmore. Reporting to the Director of Infrastructure, Operations and Development Services, the Operations Manager is a key contributor within the Towns Operations Department. Responsible for leading the Operations Team for the town of Strathmore to deliver high quality public service. The Town’s Operation Department provides public works, parks and maintenance services.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Lead a team of up to thirty staff, including operators, parks workers and administrative support staff
- The Operations Manager will plan, develop, implement and maintain the team actives to achieve the department daily and strategic goals in Public Works, Roads, Fleet Maintenance, Parks and Building Maintenance operations
- Ensure prioritized, timely and accurate completion of tasks and proactively plan for future projects
- Develop and control department budgets
- Develop improvement strategies resulting in the efficient and cost-effective delivery of Operations services
- Manage assigned staff including employee performance evaluations, provide recommendations for employee development, and succession planning
- Prepare budget and capital recommendations for review annually
- Promote and ensure workplace safety
- Investigate incidents and accidents, prepare reports and recommendations of corrective or disciplinary action when necessary
- Participate in Town Development Plans and Developer’s Area Structure Plan meetings and decisions
- Ensure that the Towns Assets are maintained to established services levels
- Help develop and review of Town Policies
- Deliver reports, statistics and presentations to Town Council or Committees
- Handle scheduling of employees, employee vacations and absences
- Maintain a positive and communicative moral within department
Required Education & Experience:
Experience, Education, Certifications
- At least ten (10) years of related work experience in the public sector or development industry, including operation of heavy machinery, winter operations, cost estimation and cost/quality control, and knowledge of Alberta Ministry of Transportation standards, specifications and regulations
- Experience developing and implementing department level budgets
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with all employees, elected officials, professionals and the public
- General knowledge of Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Post-Secondary education in engineering, public administration, management or related field
- Must possess and maintain a valid Alberta Class 5 Operators License
Competencies and Behaviours:
- A highly organized problem solver with the proven ability to think and act strategically supported by strong analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good computer knowledge, proficiency in such Microsoft applications as Word and Excel
- A team player that integrates a high degree of personal drive and motivation towards team support, collaboration and reaching organizational goals
- Demonstrated ability to make independent decisions, manage priorities and adapt to change in a dynamic environment, while effectively interacting with peers
- Positive relationship management, communication and consulting skills in order to build positive relationships with all departments
- Previous leadership experience
- Must be an agent of change with a real focus on continuous improvement
- Proven competency in budget development
The Town of Strathmore offers a competitive salary and benefits package based on your experience and qualifications.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Please forward a cover letter describing your experience and ability with respect to the competencies and behaviours stated above as well as your resume quoting Competition TOS2020-03 by email to email@example.com.
The Town of Strathmore thanks all applicants however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request.
This posting is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job ad is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.