Municipal District of Greenview
Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farmland, and mixed wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Office of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) leads, coordinates and provides oversight for the management and administration of all departments to ensure Greenview is accomplishing Council’s priorities and the public’s goals.
The Municipal District of Greenview (Greenview) has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a full-time Chief Financial Officer (CFO) commencing as soon as possible. Reporting to the CAO, the CFO will be responsible for the financial affairs, information technology services, the municipal assessment and taxation process and the legal and banking operations of Greenview. The CFO will also provide critical and strategic advice to the CAO, the senior leadership team and Council. MAJOR
- Oversee a staffing complement of approximately 36 employees in the areas of finance, information technology, the municipal assessment and taxation process, and legal and banking services.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly (accrual-based) financial reports for submission to the CAO, senior leadership team and Council.
- Prepare monthly budget to actual reports, including variance analysis for submission to the CAO, senior leadership team and Council.
- Prepare annual financial statements for audit by Greenview’s external auditors and supervise the audit process.
- Prepare monthly and annual cashflow forecasts.
- Coordinate, prepare and submit to the CAO, senior leadership team and Council the annual and three-year budget (operating and capital) for discussion and approval.
- Liaise with general managers of all internal departments and provide them with timely, accurate, and comprehensive financial information and analysis.
- Attend all regular senior leadership meetings and report on financial updates, variance analysis, and trending.
- Attend all Council meetings and report on financial updates.
- Develop, implement and maintain financial controls to ensure the integrity of records for all finance and accounting functions, including recommendations for system enhancements and supporting internal controls.
- Develop, monitor and ensure compliance with effective policies and procedures relating to the finance, accounting and information technology functions of Greenview.
- Financial management of bank accounts, including loans and investments.
- Oversee the fixed assets inventory.
- Oversee the payroll function including review of payroll.
- With the HR Manager, administer the provisions of the staff agreement and other salary schedules relating to the various employee groups working for Greenview.
- With the HR Manager, assist in the negotiations of the staff agreement.
- Oversee the annual assessment and taxation process.
- Oversee utility billing process.
- Establish and maintain a positive and professional working relationship with the CAO, senior leadership team and Council based on mutual respect.
- Effectively manage emergencies and support crisis management efforts in a team-oriented, collaborative and cohesive fashion.
- Effectively supervise and mentor employees and create a positive and collaborative working environment and ensure a spirit of continuous improvement.
- Provide information which the CAO requires to perform his/her role in a timely and exemplary fashion.
- Practice leadership in a pro-active and strategic manner to support Greenview, the CAO, senior leadership team and Council in the achievement of its goals and objectives.
- Exhibit a high level of personal, professional and organizational integrity.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the CAO.
- Post-graduate university degree and a professional accounting designation (CPA).
- Proven leadership skills with 8 to 10 years of senior management experience in the areas of finance, accounting and administration.
- Excellent working knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal finance.
- Knowledge of the Municipal Government Act (MGA) and other legislative and procedural requirements.
- Experience working in a municipal environment is desired.
- Experience working with Microsoft Dynamics 365 or a comparable accounting system is an asset.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint.
- Strong management and organizational skills in order to meet established deadlines.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to lead, supervise, mentor and motivate staff.
- Strong critical and analytical thinking.
- Ability and interest to stay current with new technologies and technological advances.
- Ability to develop and nurture productive and positive business relationships with internal and external partners.
- Ability to interact well with and respond to inquiries from all levels of staff, including senior leadership, Council and ratepayers.
- Ability to stay current and up to date with changes in accounting standards and other professional accounting requirements.
- Ability to interpret, advise and apply requirements under the MGA and other legislative requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with highly sensitive and confidential matters.
- Extensive use of computers and telephone.
- Long periods of sitting, good lighting, temperature and noise control.
- Use and operation of a vehicle, when required.
- Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; however occasional overtime may be required.
- All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
Closing Date: April 13, 2020
Interested candidates may submit cover letter and resume in one of the following ways:
Mail or Drop Off: Municipal District of Greenview No. 16, 4806 – 36 Ave., Box 1079, Valleyview, Alberta T0H 3N0
By E-mail: email@example.com
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. While we truly appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.