TL Senior Planner, System Planning
TL - Senior Planner, System Planning
Transportation Planning and Policy
Provides senior transportation planning expertise and leadership to projects of medium to higher scope in support of a designated program related to transportation policy, forecasting, or infrastructure and service development in an integrated, multi-modal environment.
- Contributes senior transportation planning expertise to the development of program strategies, plans and tactics.
- Provides senior technical guidance, sharing the benefit of an advanced level of expertise with other planning professionals, while also providing leadership to designated projects.
- Develops advanced transportation planning, methods, techniques and models in support of designated project deliverables, ensuring compliance with department standards, policies and procedures.
- Contributes as a member of a program team, providing a senior level of transportation planning expertise, identifying and recommending action on planning and project risks and opportunities, based on analysis of transport data, trends, and issues. Alerts Manager to critical issues.
- Collaborates with leaders and professionals across the organization, with a view to optimizing planning services and project outcomes.
- Develops and manages relationships with stakeholders to understand needs, keeping them informed and resolving issues.
- Provides senior technical support and advice to municipal/provincial working teams and advisory committees.
- Oversees contractors and consultants, providing work direction and monitoring contract compliance.
- Provides technical guidance to other planning professionals, including involvement in development and performance management.
Education and Experience:
The competencies for this position are acquired through a Master's degree in Planning, Engineering or a related discipline, plus four (4) years' experience providing an advanced level of expertise and leading projects in an agency specializing in planning or transportation,
- Advanced knowledge of the principles, theories, concepts and practices of transportation planning
- Sound knowledge of plans, products, roles and responsibilities of government agencies, NGOs and associations.
- Sound leadership skills to provide a senior level of technical guidance and expertise to other transportation planning professionals and to lead projects.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills to identify and assess impact of transportation planning and project-related risks and opportunities in an integrated, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to develop and deliver reports and presentations.
- Strong Interpersonal skills to build trust by consulting with others and applying a team approach and negotiation skills as they pertain to contracts.
- Sound decision making skills to make recommendations and resolve transportation planning and project-related issues, and conflict resolution skills to mitigate and minimize project risks and issues.
This position is a key role within the System Planning department of the Transportation Planning & Policy division, reporting to the Manager of System Plans. The System Plans team is responsible for planning the multimodal transportation system of one of the world's most livable regions. Key accountabilities of this team include:
- ensuring implementation of high-level regional transportation policy and strategy;
- leading sub-regional, local, and corridor-level multimodal transport plans;
- developing and monitoring transportation system guidelines and policy;
- identifying and evaluating near- and long-term multimodal investment needs;
- liaising directly with internal stakeholders within TransLink and its Operation Divisions, as well as with local, regional, and provincial partner staff; and
- supporting other multimodal planning and analysis tasks as required.
Upcoming System Plans projects anticipated in the near term include:
- development of innovative new program for road, cycling, and walking investments leveraging significantly increased funding across all modes;
- initiation of sub-regional multimodal Area Plan;
- implementation of updated Transit Service Guidelines;
- proactive road, cycling, and pedestrian planning;
- near-term local area transit reviews;
- integrated land use & transportation corridor studies; and
- participation in other multimodal transportation planning processes.
This is one of a number of exciting positions we are looking to hire for within the System Planning department.
Applicants are encouraged to apply for each individual position they are interested in. TransLink has been one of BC's Top Employers for five straight years , and is currently in the midst of an unprecedented period of expanding transportation service across the Metro Vancouver region. TransLink does not discriminate based on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, national origin, disability (mental and physical), ancestry, ethnicity, marital status, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any protected category prohibited by provincial or federal laws. TransLink encourages all interested applicants to apply, including minorities, women, and people with disabilities. To support a diverse workforce, TransLink has a number of inclusion-related initiatives in place and under development, such as mentorship programs and support for ongoing professional development.
Recruitment Process: An applicant will be required to demonstrate their suitability for this position by meeting the minimum level of qualifications and experience in order to be invited into the selection process. A standard interview format will be used including general, scenario and behavioural descriptive interview questions. At the interview stage of the screening process we may request a writing sample, provide you with a writing assignment, or request that you deliver a presentation based on a scenario which will contribute to the assessment of your capabilities for the position.
37.5 hours per week.
Rate of Pay
$76,228 - $95,284 per annum
How to Apply
To apply, please visit https://www.translink.ca/About-Us/Careers.aspx
INSTRUCTIONS: Please save your (1) cover letter, and your (2) resume as one pdf document prior to uploading your application on-line.
Questions regarding this competition can be directed to Matthew Whyte at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure your application is received before the posting deadline.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce that is free of all forms of discrimination. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds, skills and perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. For a confidential inquiry, simply email us at jobs@TransLink.ca