Climbing Wall Attendant
Climbing Wall AttendantPosition Type: Auxiliary
Department: Community Sports
Application Closing Date: March 31, 2020
Number of positions available: Multiple
The Richmond Olympic Oval is proud to open the tallest climbing wall in lower mainland. Soaring 15 meters above ground, our wall offers over 50 climbing routes ranging from 5.7-5.13 and a speed wall. In 2020, the Oval will be the venue for the Provincial and National climbing competition. The best athletes in Canada will come to Richmond to compete for the title of National champion. By joining our team, you will help us develop the climbing community in Richmond, and be a part of a supportive team for our best local youth and adult athletes.
As a Climbing Wall Attendant at the Richmond Olympic Oval, you will be expected to oversee the daily operations of the wall, including but not limited to, greeting customers, promoting climbing programs, providing an orientation to new clients and climbing advice, and ensuring general safety.
Your core responsibilities include:
- Ensure the safety of members and visitors by paying special attention to behaviour, technique, proper form, and equipment wear and tear
- Monitor and manage wall usage during open hours: belay tests, orientations, check-in, etc.
- Promote youth and adult climbing programs,
- Encourage personal climbing goal attainment for participants
- Collect feedback from both clients and coworkers to develop the member experience
- Maintain a safe, clean and welcoming environment
The qualifications and skills you bring to this role include
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Optimistic, passionate and personable
- Ability to complete daily tasks and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner
- Aptitude to self direct and take initiative
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Knowledge of climbing, belay techniques and climbing gear
- Completion of, or in progress of completing the Climbing Gym Instructor Level 1 and 2 Certification (ACMG) is highly desired.
- Proven athletic ability and understands climbing movement and technique is an asset
- Route setting and coaching experience is an asset
- Valid First Aid and CPR
- Must be able to successfully complete a criminal record check
Must be able to commit to three of the following shifts (including one weekend day):
- Monday: 3:00pm-11:00pm
- Tuesday: 3:00pm-11:00pm
- Wednesday: 3:00pm-11:00pm
- Thursday: 3:00pm-11:00pm
- Friday: 3:00pm-11:00pm
- Saturday: 12:00pm-2:00 pm / 8:00pm -10:00pm
- Sunday: 12:00pm-2:00 pm / 8:00pm -10:00pm
$15.84 to $17.95 plus 12% in lieu of benefits (hourly rate is based on qualifications and experience)
Our Values make us who we are
Our workplace values are the guiding principles that are most important to us about the way that we work.
Aligning with the City of Richmond, the Richmond Olympic Oval is an incredibly diverse and high performing values-based organization. Our values (People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation) are at the core of what we do; they define our culture, represent our collective conscience, and define the basic principles by which we operate. Our values govern the way we make decisions, guide us as we interact with our community, and shape our unique workplace culture and environment.
Our gifts to you as an Oval Team Member
Some of the perks for working at a world class Olympic Venue include:
- Access to 20,000sq ft fitness centre with top class facilities, over 100 pieces of strength and cardio equipment, 60 feet climbing and speed wall, YYoga studio, endless fitness classes, Olympic sized ice rinks.
- Collaborative team environment.
- Opportunity to work in various auxiliary positions at the Richmond Olympic Oval to grow your knowledge and experience.
The Richmond Olympic Oval is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
If you are personable, have a great attitude, are passionate about delivering exceptional customer service and have a genuine interest in contributing to the greater good of our company and our community, we want to hear from you!