Climbing InstructorPosition Type: Auxiliary
Department: Community Sports
Application Closing Date: March 31, 2020
Number of positions available: Multiple
The Richmond Olympic Oval is proud to open the tallest climbing wall in lower mainland. Soaring 15 meters above ground, our wall offers over 50 climbing routes ranging from 5.7-5.13 and a speed wall. In 2020, the Oval will be the venue for the Provincial and National climbing competition. The best athletes in Canada will come to Richmond to compete for the title of National champion. By joining our team, you will help us develop the climbing community in Richmond, and be a part of a supportive team for our best local youth and adult athletes.
We are looking for passionate individuals with a love of climbing and a sound coaching background. This position is focused on helping individuals aged 6 to 17 develop fundamental to intermediate climbing skills in a fun and safe environment.
Your core responsibilities include:
- Communicate with parents and provide program participants with feedback
- Ensure general program readiness including equipment lists, lesson plans, games and activities for a range of abilities
- Implement a variety of techniques for students to develop climbing skills
- Responsible for the safety and progressive instruction of Learn to Climb programs based on the objectives of the specific programs as well as Long Term Athlete Development Model/Sport for Life
- Communicate effectively with the Climbing Programmer and Head Coach regarding program needs and improvements
- Evaluate athlete abilities and maintain records of the skills of climbers
- Compliant with program policies and procedures (attendance, report cards, radios, first aid, etc.)
The qualifications and skills you bring to this role include
- A love for teaching children!
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Background and knowledge in Sport Climbing (Boulder, Lead and Speed)
- Additional knowledge in outdoor rock climbing is an asset
- Intermediate - Advanced level of climbing skill and knowledge in multiple disciplines
- Experience delivering high quality, progressive climbing instruction to athletes ages 6 to 17 is preferred
- Ability to assess and evaluate athlete’s fundamental movement skills and as well as specific climbing skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Optimistic, passionate and personable
- Completion of, or in progress of completing the Climbing Gym Instructor Level 1 and 2 Certification (ACMG) is an asset
- Valid First Aid and CPR
- Must be able to successfully complete a criminal record check
Must be able to commit to a minimum of two of the following shifts:
- Monday: 4:00pm-7:00pm
- Tuesday: 4:00pm-7:00pm
- Wednesday: 4:00pm-7:00pm
- Thursday: 4:00pm-7:00pm
- Friday: 4:00pm-7:00pm
Preference is given to applicants who are available for more than two shifts per week.
$17.95 to $23.23 plus 12% in lieu of benefits (hourly rate is based on qualifications and experience)
Our Values make us who we are
Our workplace values are the guiding principles that are most important to us about the way that we work.
Aligning with the City of Richmond, the Richmond Olympic Oval is an incredibly diverse and high performing values-based organization. Our values (People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation) are at the core of what we do; they define our culture, represent our collective conscience, and define the basic principles by which we operate. Our values govern the way we make decisions, guide us as we interact with our community, and shape our unique workplace culture and environment.
Our gifts to you as an Oval Team Member
Some of the perks for working at a world class Olympic Venue include:
- Access to 20,000sq ft fitness centre with top class facilities, over 100 pieces of strength and cardio equipment, 60 feet climbing wall, YYoga studio, endless fitness classes, Olympic sized ice rinks and the Richmond Olympic Experience (ROX) museum.
- 12% in lieu of benefits on top of your hourly rate.
- Collaborative team environment.
- Opportunity to work in various auxiliary positions at the Richmond Olympic Oval to grow your knowledge and experience.
The Richmond Olympic Oval is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
If you are personable, have a great attitude, are passionate about delivering exceptional customer service and have a genuine interest in contributing to the greater good of our company and our community, we want to hear from you!