Engineering Assistant III
Engineering Assistant IIICompany
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Street Activities Branch plays a leading role in implementing public space improvements throughout the City and we’re seeking an Engineering Assistant III to join our Public Space Design team.
The successful applicant will perform a variety of technical duties primarily under the Parklet Program to transform parking spaces into people places typically with seating, planting, and bike parking.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
As part of the Public Space Design team, the Engineering Assistant III is responsible for:
- Keeping accurate records of program participants and public space installations
- Coordinating traffic plans, relevant approvals, delivery of public space projects in liaison with City crews and contractors
- Performing field work for before, after, and during construction, as well as site visits involving conditions assessment and maintenance prioritization of existing parklets
- Communication with the public, community groups, stakeholders and internal departments and maintain website updates, social media content, and other public-facing communication materials
Other responsibilities include:
- Preparing presentations, plans and graphic materials; writing reports, letters, minutes and memos, including assisting in writing Council reports
- Performing routine clerical duties, filing and maintenance of data files and assisting the Street Activities team as required
- Participating in evening meetings, public engagement events, and responding to enquiries
- Preparing and analyzing public surveys; conducting research
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented with a diploma in Civil Engineering or other equivalent area of study related to the work, such as, Environmental Design and Transportation plus sound related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of MS Office software, AutoCAD, the Adobe Creative Cloud, and SketchUp
- Working knowledge of the City's public space and transportation policies and regulations
- Ability to work well in a team environment with little or no supervision, and meet tight time lines in a multi task environment
- Effective written and verbal communication skills and the ability to provide accurate and thorough information to the public
- Proven interpersonal skills in establishing and maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships with staff and the public
As part of the pre-screening process, qualified candidates will be asked to provide the following digital samples of their work, including one of each of the following:
- Graphic layout of communication materials using Creative Cloud
- Graphic diagram of site inventory and/or analysis using digital or hand rendering techniques
- Plan view engineering drawing using CAD/GIS software
- 3D modelling using SketchUp
- Section or elevation engineering drawing using CAD software
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful please apply on the City’s career site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For more information on the City’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, please click here.