The City of Winnipeg is a vibrant and dynamic organization
with many opportunities!
We offer a diverse and welcoming work environment that delivers
quality services to our citizens.
Water and Waste Department
Posting No: 118765
Closing Date: March 6, 2020
Under the general guidance of the Manager of Engineering the Project Director of the Winnipeg Sewage Treatment Program (WSTP) is responsible for leadership, implementation, management of staff and Veolia resources, in the design and construction of the wastewater facilities in accordance with the City/Veolia agreement, environmental licences, and relevant legislation.
As the Project Director you will:
- Champion the WSTP and provide Leadership and Coordination necessary to ensure success of the overall Program.
- Undertake Resource Management to ensure effective and timely use of WSTP resources.
- Undertake Financial Management to ensure appropriate expenditure of funds and value for money.
- Provide Overall Program Management and Veolia Agreement Administration to ensure exceptional performance of the WSTP.
- Provide Quality Assurance and Control to ensure that WSTP outcomes are consistent and of a high quality.
- Undertake communication to ensure that WSTP initiatives are supported by stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance with Worker’s Compensation Legislation, Human Rights Legislation, safety regulations and safe work practices.
- Perform other related duties consistent with the position as assigned.
Your education and qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science (Civil, Mechanical, or Biosystems Engineering) mandatory.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Business or Project Management mandatory.
- Professional Engineer designation and eligible for registration with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba, (E.G.M.) is required.
- Postgraduate courses in economics, construction law, wastewater engineering and management are preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in the effective management and supervision of professional staff and consultants involved in design and commissioning of large municipal capital projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the theory of wastewater treatment and 4 years of experience in design of water and/or wastewater treatment facilities.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in the effective management of construction of large municipal capital projects, culminating in supervision and management of capital projects with a value of $100 Million.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cost and risk control techniques, and project delivery alternatives for large capital projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the systems necessary to appropriately manage design and construction of large capital projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principals associated with successful commissioning and operation of wastewater facilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Province of Manitoba safety legislation as it applies to construction and operation of municipal works.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, external contacts and the public, in accordance with the Respectful Workplace Standard.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge and understanding of the occupational hazards, safety precautions, regulations and procedures that is applicable to the area of work.
Conditions of employment:
- Professional Engineer designation and eligible for registration with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba, (E.G.M.).
- A Police Information Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the successful candidate, at their expense.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
CORE COMPETENCIES for ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented
How to Apply
APPLY ONLINE, including all documentation listed below:
- Current resume AND Application Form (Required).
- Cover letter.
- Your application documents must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications of the position.
*Applications submitted without REQUIRED documentation will not be considered.*
Online applications can be submitted at http://www.winnipeg.ca/hr/. For instructions on how to apply and how to attach required documents please refer to our FAQ's or contact 311.
The City of Winnipeg uses the Korn Ferry Leadership Architect Competency Model as part of the recruitment process.
Applicants may be required to undergo testing to determine their knowledge, abilities, and skills as they relate to the qualifications of the position.
The successful applicant will be required to provide a vehicle for transportation while on City business, subject to the terms and conditions of the City Transportation Policy.
The successful applicant will be required to provide a Notice of Driver’s Licence In Force document upon request.
The successful applicant will be required to complete job specific training required for this position as directed.
We have great benefits and competitive salaries, and we are committed to ongoing learning and career development!
WE SEEK DIVERSITY IN OUR WORKPLACE. INDIGENOUS PERSONS, WOMEN, VISIBLE MINORITIES, AND PERSONS WITH A DISABILITY ARE ENCOURAGED TO SELF-DECLARE.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Requests for Reasonable Accommodation will be accepted during the hiring process.