Auxiliary Librarians (Librarian l)
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Auxiliary Librarians (Librarian l)
NO. OF POSITIONS:
Up to four
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
$35.00 per hour (2019 rate) plus 12% in lieu of benefits
The New Westminster Public Library is seeking auxiliary librarians to join our team. This is a perfect opportunity for individuals who are genuinely passionate about connecting customers with library collections, services, and programs through excellent customer service. The ideal candidate is seeking to refine their generalist library skills while also contributing to the delivery of an exciting and growing array of children, adult, and technology programming.
The New Westminster Public Library is a busy, customer-focused library serving a diverse clientele in an urban setting. NWPL has just undergone an extensive renovation and is now resuming an exciting array of program offerings for adults and children.
What you’ll be doing:
- Answer a wide range of reference and information questions, including ones relating to local and BC History and genealogy;
- Connect library customers with diverse library materials to read, watch and listen to;
- Assist library users with internet and other public technology questions, including Chromebooks, desktop computers, and e-readers;
- Assist adult, child, and teen customers throughout the library;
- Occasional programming may include story time, school programs, adult programs, technology programs, and library tours;
- Prepare recommended resource lists and displays for adult, children’s, or teen collections;
- Assist with collection development as time allows.
Preference for this position will be given to candidates who are available to work a variety of shifts, including daytime, evenings and weekends. Shifts available include coverage for vacation and other leave for existing staff, and may involve working in any of our adult or children’s public service departments.
*Shifts will include daytime, evening, and weekend work, and may occur at either the Main branch or Queensborough location.
Your Education, Skills, and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited University;
- Experience providing front-facing customer service in a Public Library setting, or in an equivalent customer service environment;
- Enthusiasm for public service work and the ability to communicate with diplomacy and tact;
- Knowledge of the Horizon Library System and BiblioCommons, or another ILS;
- Demonstrated general proficiency with Windows desktop applications including Word, Excel and Outlook; accurate keyboarding; experience with other technology including desktop publishing, social media, and mobile devices required;
- Familiarity and comfort with using consumer technologies such as Google Chromebooks, e-book readers, etc;
- Experience and/or course work in Children’s Services and Literature desirable;
- The successful candidate is required to successfully pass and maintain a clear Criminal Records Check.
Please forward a cover letter and resume, including your availability for on-call work, and the names of 3 professional references, quoting competition #20-L1, as a single PDF or word document to: email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until 5 pm Friday February 28, 2020. **Applications missing the required documents and required format will not be reviewed.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada