Labourers - Horticulture
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Labourers - Horticulture
Parks and Recreation
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
$28.24 per hour plus 12% in lieu of all benefits
The Parks and Recreation Department has an immediate opportunity for skilled, self-motivated individuals who have a passion for horticulture and arboriculture. As a labourer, your duties will include planting and maintaining perennials and annuals; cutting and maintaining lawns and grounds; assisting the Arboriculture team in planting, cultivating, pruning shrubs, trees and removing trees; assisting in the construction, renovation and maintenance of various landscaped and horticultural areas, and watering duties with a large water truck, including watering hanging baskets and City trees; and assisting crews in the maintenance of various landscaped and horticultural areas when required.
- Completion of Grade 12 (or equivalent), supplemented by related experience in horticulture.
- The completion of a diploma in horticulture would be an asset.
- Skill in the use and care of tools and equipment used in the work.
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the work.
- Ability to follow the safety precautions required in the work.
- Ability to effectively perform tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with crew members and other City departments.
- Ability to demonstrate and provide exceptional customer service skills.
- Ability to perform manual/physical labour and to work in all weather conditions.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and clean driver’s abstract.
- The successful candidate must be able to pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
- Available to work a flexible work schedule as required.
*Up 40 hours per week, including days, weekends and statutory holidays. Work terms may be up to 10 months in length however, may be adjusted based on seasonal requirements and operational need.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #20-11, by February 21, 2020, to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: 604-527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.