University of the Fraser Valley
Business Transformation Office
Two (2) Staff, 100% full-time,
1 Temporary - One Year Contract
As soon as possible after review date
One (1) year contract
$5,463.75 - $6,355.60 per month (Staff pay group 12)
February 24, 2020
The University of the Fraser Valley has four campus locations within the beautiful Fraser Valley in British Columbia. Recognized as one of BC's top employers, UFV offers a combination of career and lifestyle benefits. Join a team of 1,400 passionate professionals who value integrity, inclusivity and excellence. At UFV, you will serve a vibrant community, and shape the future of 15,000 students.
The University of the Fraser Valley is embarking on a major investment in its technology landscape, with corresponding expansion, revitalization, and reinvention of its infrastructure, systems, service management protocols, and project delivery methodology. Under the direction of the Chief Information Officer, UFV is redesigning the IT Department’s organizational structure and adding staff in both the frontline and management realms, aligning with the needs of the university.
We are currently seeking two (2) Project Managers, one temporary and one permanent. Working as part of the larger Office of the CIO team, the Project Manager works with a team of Project Managers in the Business Transformation Office and provides project management services to the University for both project and operational activities for various technology and business transformation projects. Working with cross functional project teams, including both technical and business stakeholders, the PM is responsible for the coordination, documentation, planning, communication, assessment, and ongoing review of technology and business transformation projects.
The PM will be responsible for managing all aspects of the project, including the initiation, planning, and execution phases; coordinating project tasks, stakeholders, and budget, while following project management principles and best practices.
Provide Project Management Services:
- Provide project management expertise and best practices in support of the successful completion of the project
- Assist in the development of a project steering committee and project teams as required
- Work with project stakeholders to develop a scope of work for projects
- Identify resources required and assign individual responsibilities within the scope of the project
- Coordinate tasks with the project team, ensuring tasks are completed on time
- Communicate with project stakeholders, team members, and leadership to ensure project tasks are completed on time and with minimal risk
- Identify and document project risks, work with stakeholders to develop appropriate mitigation strategies
- Document all project efforts using standard project management principles, e.g. Project Charter, Project Plan, Work Breakdown Structure, Communication Plan, Change Management, Project Budget, etc.
- Develop cost benefit analyses to support strategic directions
- Manage project financials and identify possible areas of concern
- Report to the project steering committee, and/or university leadership as appropriate on progress and issues arising
Participate in and Support Project Committees:
- Provide support for project committees including set-up of meeting dates and sites, draft agenda for approval by Chair, follow-up on action items, prepare documents for meeting including management of document resource site
- Monitor progress on action items between meetings and follow-up as appropriate to ensure delegated task is being completed
- Provide verbal and written reports, including presentations, to project committees as required to inform decision making
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline required. In addition, a project management certification (e.g. PMP or similar) or equivalent courses required.
- Minimum 5 years of related experience including at least 3-4 years of experience managing projects, ideally with exposure to technology implementations, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- General knowledge of project management principles and methodology.
- Knowledge of current theories and practices in education, particularly with respect to post-secondary teaching and educational technology.
- Experience with project templates, word processing programs, and spreadsheets.
- Experience working in the post-secondary, or education sector.
- Experience coordinating and overseeing the work of multiple and diverse stakeholders on projects to ensure goals are met.
- Leadership competencies in change management, strategic planning, project management, innovation and vision, networking, and teamwork and cooperation.
How to apply
Direct resume including evidence of appropriate qualifications referring to Posting #2020.031 to:
University of the Fraser Valley
33844 King Road, Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2S 7M8
Tel: (604) 854-4554 Fax: (604) 854-1538
Email resumes to: email@example.com
The Selection Advisory Committee will begin reviewing applications on February 24, 2020; however, the positions will remain open until filled.
Shortlisted applicants may be required to undergo a criminal record check. Shortlisted applicants will be required to provide copies of their most recent evaluation summary.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In an effort to be both environmentally and fiscally responsible, UFV will contact only candidates receiving an interview. We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.