Director, Engineering Services
Town of Cochrane
Director, Engineering Services
The Town of Cochrane is located in the breathtaking Bow Valley corridor in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in southern Alberta. With a population of over 29,000 people, and growing steadily every year, Cochrane is a thriving town, surrounded by world-famous ranch country. Our western heritage is reflected in the Town’s architecture and our friendly people. The Town of Cochrane welcomes innovative and skilled individuals to join our team of over 300 employees.
We are looking for an inspiring, dynamic individual to join the Development & Community Services Department in order to lead Engineering and Safety Codes at the Town of Cochrane.
You are a Professional Engineer and member of APEGA with a degree in Civil Engineering or related field. Your 10+ years as a professional engineer and 8+ years of public administration in a progressive leadership role will be imperative to progress this municipal government environment. Your knowledge of Alberta Safety Codes, Town Land Use Bylaw and related legislation will be an asset to join our management team.
As the Director, Engineering Services you will:
- Advise and consult with senior management and Council on issues and policies related to the engineering and safety codes functions.
- Be responsible for development, interpretation and application of all engineering standards and related plans for Town’s infrastructure.
- Act as the senior engineering representative for the Town when dealing with developers, government agencies, organizations, regulatory bodies and the public.
- Have the overall responsibility for the Engineering function, checking and approval of subdivision engineering designs, street improvements, utilities and other work prepared by developers, consultants, utility companies, other sections and government agencies
- Manage the review and approval of all infrastructure plans and drawings submitted to the Town for conformance to the engineering design standards and practice.
- Negotiate, in conjunction with the Planning Section, all site servicing agreements for the construction of new infrastructure within the Town.
- Liaise with the development community to educate them of the Town’s requirements and shall ensure that all such requirements are adhered to.
- Prior to and upon review and approval of such developments, liaise with the Planning section to ensure the Planning process has been adhered to.
- Coordinate special projects such as traffic, utility studies, models and analysis as required
- Review and update Offsite Levies on a biannual basis
- Oversee the Quality Management Plan ensuring complimentary connection between Engineering and Safety Codes requirements.
- Coordinate establishment and maintenance of Engineering information and record-keeping systems
- Provides in-house engineering services. Retains, instructs and oversees consultants and contractors to augment in-house expertise, to fulfill workplans and to otherwise manage peak workload situations.
- Negotiates land-servicing agreements according to approved standards and makes recommendations regarding the amount and type of security required from land developers at the outset of a project as well as on reductions as the project progresses
- Prepares reports and recommendations as required.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You are proficient in AutoCAD
- You have a thorough knowledge of municipal infrastructure engineering, construction, operating and maintenance standards and techniques
- You have a working knowledge of land use planning and development legislation and practices
- You have a demonstrated leadership ability with strong coaching and mentoring skills
- You have proven conflict resolution, negotiation and problem-solving skills
- You have a thorough knowledge of business process, financial management, process management and strategic planning
- You have analytical skills and the ability to understand and interpret legal and technical information
- You have the ability to manage services to achieve consistent risk management
- You are eligible for Designation of Powers through the Alberta Safety Codes Council
Why should you consider working for us?
- Our vision is to be proud of Cochrane’s heritage, embracing our future, we are a dynamic organization creating municipal excellence. We welcome you to be a part of that municipal excellence as we grow from “How the West is Now” and look for innovative opportunities.
- We welcome creative and skilled individuals to join our team; we uphold values of financial, social and environmental sustainability, and are committed to serving the community.
- Our employees enjoy many benefits including competitive public sector pay, comprehensive health and dental benefits package, professional learning and development opportunities and the opportunity to work with other talented municipal professionals.
- If hired, our total compensation package includes: Competitive public sector pay, Comprehensive health and dental benefits, Professional learning and development opportunities, Wellness programs, Pension and saving plans.
How to apply:
- Qualified individuals are encouraged to submit their resumes, along with a one page letter demonstrating how their qualifications and/or experience match the position; upload in one document
- All qualified candidates will be requested to complete an online suitability survey
- Applications for this position will be accepted until 9pm MST February 23, 2020
- Applications must be submitted online at Cochrane.ca/jobs
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants must be legally entitled to live and work in Canada.