Town of Gore Bay
The Town of Gore Bay, Ontario, on Manitoulin Island is looking for a Treasurer. The town boasts a permanent population of 850 that swells with activity during the summer months when cottagers, boaters and tourists flock to the area.
Gore Bay is home to one of Canada’s largest trucking companies, Manitoulin Transport as well as the island’s first craft brewery the Split Rail Brewing Company.
Town staff describe themselves as dedicated, transparent and collaborative … “yet with a casual family friendly atmosphere”, and as one senior staff member offered, “We may be small, but we make up for it in our pride and community spirit”.
The Treasurer, who will be moving into the role as the result of a retirement, will take on the responsibility of leading all financial matters for the municipality. An ability to develop and continually monitor the town’s finances, while making recommendations to senior staff and council will be the key to success in the role.
As Treasurer you will:
- Implement the town’s short and long-term financial plans.
- Represent the town in all finance-related matters.
- Ensure compliance with Provincial reporting requirements/programs (PSAB).
Playing an active role at Council and Committee meetings your job will be to ensure the efficient and effective operation of the town through effective policies and procedures.
Experience and knowledge of the work done in a municipality that you have gained through a combination of experience and education will make you the right person for the job.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates and leads annual budget process, develop long-term capital/operating budget forecasts.
- Responsibility for GL, FIR completions, monthly operating statements, taxation, grant applications and municipal revenue functions
- Responsibility for the Asset Management Plan
- Preparation of required financial statements and reports to Council and Senior Staff.
- Management of payroll functions including benefit administration.
Proficiency in computer software applications The Town of Gore Bay offers competitive compensation and outstanding lifestyle opportunities.
A recent and detailed job description is available from the consultant.
D. Bruce Malcolm, Managing Partner
Phone: 1-888-447-5910 ext. 727