19 – 24 Avenue South
Cranbrook BC V1C 3H8
Phone: (250) 489-2791 or 1-888-478-7335
Nestled within the beautiful Rocky Mountains, in the southeast corner of British Columbia, the East Kootenay region is a four-season destination offering some of the continent’s finest outdoor recreation opportunities. From lakes and beaches to alpine meadows and snow-capped mountains, we have it all, right on our doorstep.
The Regional District of East Kootenay (RDEK) serves 60,000 permanent residents and about 30,000 seasonal residents.
We are looking for an experienced and customer service focused Building Inspector. This position will be based out of our Cranbrook Office. Reporting to the Development Services Manager, the Building Inspector is responsible for reviewing commercial and residential building plans, conducting inspections and issuing building permits to comply with applicable bylaws, codes and regulations.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum Level 1 certification with the Building Officials Association of BC;
- A diploma in Architectural and Building Technology, or related field;
- Minimum one year experience as a Building Inspector; and
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence.
Key Skills & Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of building construction methods and materials, building and plumbing codes, zoning bylaws, and regulations affecting the construction and renovation of buildings;
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to read blueprints and legal maps;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills; and
- Ability to work effectively with the general public, contractors and trades people.
The RDEK offers an attractive total compensation package, which includes a competitive salary, excellent benefits, a modified workweek and learning opportunities. This is a permanent, full-time (35 hours per week) Union position with a starting hourly rate of $35.28 - $40.61/hour (depending on BOABC Certification Level).
If you are interested in joining an organization with a reputation of being a great place to work, and you possess the necessary qualifications and experience, we invite you to submit a resume and cover letter with references, in confidence, by noon on February 26, 2020 to:
Lori Engler, Human Resources Manager
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org [MS Word format or PDF]
Please quote: BUILD-13
Information on our organization and copies of complete job descriptions for Building Inspector 1, 2 and 3 are available on the RDEK website (www.rdek.bc.ca/careers). We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.