The City of Spruce Grove
The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
This position is responsible for providing administrative and research support to the Economic Development Department. The incumbent will research, collect and analyze a range of economic development data and other information required to deliver the Department's services. The incumbent will also support the marketing efforts of the department. He/She will build and maintain good working relationships with other municipalities, internal departments, community stakeholders, and businesses. This position reports to the Manager, Economic and Business Development.
- Provide general administrative support to the department including coordinating meetings, arranging couriers, collecting and distributing incoming mail, and for records management.
- Maintain and update the Economic Development website.
- Manage department social media accounts, including content creation.
- Support updates to Economic Development marketing materials and other information products.
- Prepare information packages and briefings in response to proposals and inquiries from investors and businesses.
- Support the City’s corporate sponsorship program including organizing sponsor appreciation activities.
- Utilize the City’s GIS program to create maps, analyze parcels, and collect land title information.
- Assist with the coordination of events related to the economic development initiatives such as the Annual Builder & Developer Luncheon, City Centre Revitalization, business tours, public engagement sessions, etc.
- Maintain site locator database on website by compiling and updating available industrial and commercial properties in Spruce Grove and contact realtors regarding status of property listings.
- Collect data and information on traffic counts, labour force, employment, business environment, business licenses, demographic trends, etc. using on-line searches, surveys, interviews and direct contacts.
- Perform analysis of information to compare Spruce Grove with other municipalities on competitive factors including investment incentives, tax rates, utility rates, land costs, and other ‘cost of doing business’ aspects.
- Compile and assess information and present it in both graphic and written format.
- Support the development of economic development related strategies.
- Support the department’s responsibility for marketing and promoting tourism in Spruce Grove.
- Assist with event attraction efforts aimed at bringing significant events such as tournaments, conferences and trade shows to the community.
- Support events related to economic development initiatives which may require time worked outside of regular business hours.
- Manage the Tri Region Tourism website.
- Engage with regional stakeholders including economic development organizations such as Edmonton Global, other municipalities, businesses, Chambers of Commerce, not-for-profit organizations, and others to promote the City's economic development goals.
- Manage the Community Spirit Award and the Annual Builders and Developers Luncheon.
- Attend economic development related conferences, workshops and seminars.
- Post-secondary Degree in Economics, Business, Marketing or equivalent.
- Two (2) to three (3) years related experience.
- A background in website administration and social media.
- A willingness to work towards a Certification for Economic Development Specialist through a recognized professional program is an asset.
February 5, 2020
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for more information and to apply online.