Team Lead, IT Service Desk
University of the Fraser Valley
Team Lead, IT Service DeskPosting
Information Technology (IT) Services
Staff, 100% full-time, Permanent
As soon as possible after closing date
$5,463.75 - $6,355.60 per month (Staff pay group 12)
January 24, 2020
The University of the Fraser Valley has four campus locations within the beautiful Fraser Valley in British Columbia. Recognized as one of BC's top employers, UFV offers a combination of career and lifestyle benefits. Join a team of 1,400 passionate professionals who value integrity, inclusivity and excellence. At UFV, you will serve a vibrant community, and shape the future of 15,000 students.
The Office of the CIO (OCIO) comprises the IT Services (ITS) and Business Transformation Office (BTO). The unit is experiencing a period of exciting transformation and growth with the goal of improving the technology experience and service delivery to UFV’s students, faculty, and staff.
Reporting to the Manager, Service Delivery, the IT Service Desk Team Lead will help transform the growing, committed IT Service Desk team to deliver the highest quality service experience to students, faculty, and staff at UFV. In pursuit of service excellence, this role is will lead of the day to day operations of the IT Service Desk and Computer Lab Monitors by applying strong leadership, mentorship, and technical skills. This role is pivotal to ensuring client requirements are met in terms of communication, prioritising, escalating and resolving incidents and service requests. This position will also inspire and motivate a culture of continual process improvement within these teams, as well as with the wider IT Services team.
Please note that major issues are responded to on a 24/7 basis. This position may be required to work at any UFV campus based on operational needs. This position will also perform other related duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
IT Service Desk Operations
- Develop, coordinate and implement processes and procedures to achieve optimal team workflow
- Manage and coordinate the processing of incoming calls/tickets to ensure courteous, timely and effective resolution of incidents and service requests
- Develop and implement ticket handling and escalation policies and procedures
- Develop and implement team and inter-team workflow processes to enable effective and efficient service delivery across all UFV campuses
Resolution & Fulfillment of Incidents/Requests
- Achieve increased productivity and minimize disruptions through quick resolution of user queries and incidents
- Lead, coordinate and allocate incidents and requests
- Act as an escalation point and provide coordination and support for the IT Service Desk during high severity and major incidents
- Provide communication to the IT Service Desk Team in preparation for planned work and unplanned outages
- Ensure processes and procedures are carried out in accordance with agreed policies and standards by the IT Service Desk team
- Create improved outcomes, increased confidence and trust in IT Services with effective use of resources.
- Provide reporting on call volumes and incident trending within the IT Service Desk and wider IT Team.
- Contribute to Service Level reporting to Management.
- In coordination with the Service Delivery Manager, lead team planning and service improvement activities.
- Implement service improvement ideas.
- Contribute and encourage the development of information into the ITSM tool knowledge base to better support the IT Services Team.
Change & Problem Management
- Raise IT Service Desk Team observations and recommendations to the Service Delivery Manager.
- Attend weekly Change Advisory Board meetings. Provide input that is impactful to the IT Service Desk team in relation to changes.
- Raise and work with other team leaders on resolving reoccurring incidents/requests. Escalate reoccurring incidents to the Problem Management group.
- Attend Problem Management group meetings.
Supervise team including coordinating activities; setting priorities; scheduling assignments; directing work; assigning responsibilities; providing guidance, direction, and feedback; monitoring progress and recommending training.
Documentation & Training
- Ensure procedural and policy documentation for IT Service Desk and Lab Monitor teams are developed, maintained and accessible in a consistent format and location.
- Ensure frequently asked questions and problems are proactively addressed through the ITSM knowledge base and documentation
- Coordinate, develop and document training procedures and materials for new IT Service Desk and Computer Lab Monitor staff
Administer IT Service Management Tool
- Assess, configure, maintain, and make recommendations on the improved use of the IT Service Desk ITSM tool.
- Generate and distribute reports
Professional & Technical Knowledge
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and courses; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- A recognized degree with a technical, or business focus is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) framework certification an asset.
- HDI certification in Service Desk Lead or Management preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience within an IT environment and at least 2 years of experience in a Service Desk supervisory role. Experience in a Higher Education environment preferable including experience in a variety of IT domains and experience providing and managing IT client service delivery.
- A sound understanding of service delivery within a higher education IT environment, as well as of service management methodologies (such as ITIL).
- Experience administering an ITSM tool software and reporting
- Experience providing user support in a Microsoft Active Directory environment
- Experience with the installation, maintenance and upgrade of computer operating systems, hardware, software and peripherals.
- Ability to adapt to ever changing workload priorities and events and effectively reprioritizing or deferring tasks in line with operational and strategic goals.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to demonstrate customer service and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills are required.
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills are required. Ability to drive and implement business process and culture.
- Ability to work in a changing and fast paced, high pressure work environment.
How to Apply
Direct resume including evidence of appropriate qualifications by January 24, 2020 referring to Posting #2019.280 to:
University of the Fraser Valley
33844 King Road, Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2S 7M8
Tel: (604) 854-4554 Fax: (604) 854-1538 Website: www.ufv.ca
Email resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In an effort to be both environmentally and fiscally responsible, UFV will contact only candidates receiving an interview. We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.