City of Grand Forks
The City of Grand Forks is looking to add a key member to their Development, Engineering, and Planning department. This is an incredible opportunity for a motivated individual to join a team in a busy municipality experiencing significant development interest and activity.
Grand Forks is known for its Okanagan weather and Kootenay lifestyle. We are a small community of friendly yet engaged citizens situated in a sunny river valley surrounded by mountains and lakes. There are opportunities for a diverse range of winter and summer outdoor recreation opportunities. From a small kid-friendly ski hill and accessible bike trails, to extreme downhill biking, skiing and backcountry adventure. Enjoy the food security delivered by the growing agricultural sector in the valley or the warmest tree-lined lake in Canada. We’ve got the weather, we’ve got the food, we’ve got the fun. What are you waiting for!
Under the general direction of the Manager of Development, Engineering and Planning, the Planning Technician 1 is primarily responsible for accepting, reviewing, and assessing land-use documents, assisting in a wide variety of planning and development related activities, and supporting senior planning and development decision makers. The work involves detailed research and stakeholder consultation. Includes various other duties as assigned in alignment with City bylaws, policies, departmental asset management programs, capital planning, annual budget and customer requests.
The ideal candidate will have a 2-year diploma in Planning Technology or an equivalent combination of education and experience, and at least 2 years’ experience in a related position.
This position is part of CUPE Local 4728 and subject to all parts of the Collective Agreement. The wage rate for this position as per the Collective Agreement is $34.30 per hour. This position will work 37.5 hours per week 8:00am to 4:00pm Monday to Friday with the possibility of the occasional weekend or evening shift. A complete job description is attached.
Using the subject line “Planning Technician 1”, please submit your resume and cover letter, in confidence, to Dolores Sheets, Manager of Development, Engineering and Planning: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted until 4:00 pm on Friday, January 31, 2020.
Please note also that only those selected for an interview - including a skills test - will be contacted.
Corporation of the City of Grand Forks
PO Box 220, 7217-4th Street
Grand Forks, BC V0H 1H0
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following list of duties and responsibilities are representative but not all inclusive of the Planning Technician I position:
- Accept, review and assess land use documents as they relate to subdivisions, bylaw amendments, land use contract amendments, developments, development variances, building permits, liquor licences, cannabis licences, Agricultural Land Commission applications, etc. in accordance with City bylaws, regulations and policies, and Provincial and Federal legislation;
- Assist in a wide variety of planning and development related activities such as Official Community Plan updates, comprehensive development plans, environmental planning programs, bylaw development, policy development and
- studies. (Includes research, drafting and taking the lead role on projects of relevant scale under the supervision of senior planning & development personnel);
- Assemble, analyze and interpret statistical, demographic, environmental, and other relevant data for planning & development purposes;
- Provide recommendations in the development of long-range policy planning, community planning and regulatory bylaws under the supervision of senior personnel;
- Review and evaluate land development applications and coordinate approvals with other departments and government agencies;
- Provide support for senior planning & development decision makers;
- Consult and liaise with applicants, agencies, provincial ministries, consultants and committees/advisory groups, and collaborate with other departments under the supervision of senior planning & development personnel;
- Inform other government agencies of the City’s interests through evaluation of eferrals; i.e. provide professional planning advice to staff, agencies, developers, committees/advisory groups and the public;
- Prepare and present at meetings;
- Prepare Council reports under direction of senior planning & development decision makers;
- Provide customer service focused response to public/counter inquires and answer questions regarding relevant land use regulations, local bylaws and applications;
- Facilitate or assist in the facilitation of public consultations to address development and land use issues;
- Carry out the duties of the position in accordance with established safe work procedures as required by BC Occupational Health and Safety Regulation;
- Support the department with Geographical Information Mapping Systems (GIS) related tasks;
- Other related duties.
- Grade 12 education, plus completion of a 2-year diploma in Planning Technology, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a related position;
- Extensive knowledge of local land use policies and regulations as well as provincial and federal legislation related to planning;
- Knowledge in land-use planning, environmental information, as well as techniques of analysis and synthesis of information;
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Work, Excel, PowerPoint) and operating knowledge of Geographic Information Mapping Systems (GIS);
- Moderate graphing and mapping skills;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Superior communication skills – verbal and written;
- Exercise courtesy and tact in dealings with the public, coworkers and Council members;
- High attention to detail with proficient report-writing capability;
- Public presentation experience;
- Valid B.C. Driver’s License.