The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
Imagine a career with the City of Richmond, a dynamic environment for growth and continuous improvement, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan city, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community.
Job ID: 2019369
$38.02 to $44.87 per hour
The City of Richmond is currently looking to hire a Regular Full Time Building Technologist position to join our Building Approvals Team. Reporting to the Manager, Plan Review, the Building Technologist is a specialized and technical position responsible for effective plan review in order to ensure that new construction, alterations and additions to existing buildings and structures meet the general design and life safety standards of the municipality prior to the issuance of building permits.
Examples of key work activities include:
- Examine plans accompanying applications for building permits, primarily for major projects and complex buildings, to ensure that proposals comply with the requirements of the National and BC Building Codes, and municipal regulations and bylaws.
- Liaise with internal and external contacts prior to and during construction regarding interpretation and explanation of building codes and regulations.
- Coordinate processing of permit applications with various departments, and provide assistance to department and inspection staff for interpretation of the National and BC Building Code, municipal regulations and bylaws.
- Attend internal meetings pertaining to new developments, commenting on building bylaw issues at a preliminary, Development Permit stage.
- Provide advice and at times, direction to junior staff.
- Act as supervisor when the regular supervisor is away.
Graduation with an architectural or building related engineering degree or with a Diploma in Building Technology supplemented by a minimum of five (5) years of related experience in the building, architectural, engineering or municipal field; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience is required. Building Officials’ Association of British Columbia Certification, Level III or an RBO designation or equivalent designation. Experience as a Plan Reviewer in a municipality setting and/or in a code consultant firm is considered an asset.
If you think this is a good fit for you, we invite you to apply today!
The City of Richmond uses an applicant tracking system for candidates wishing to view and apply for available career opportunities. For further details regarding this specific career opportunity, please visit our website at www.richmond.ca/employment Applicants will be required to upload a current resume and provide any supporting documentation relevant to the position (Word format). The closing date for Job ID: 2019.369: Building Technologist is 11:59pm, on February 5, 2020.
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No telephone inquiries please.