Vancouver Island Regional Library
Vancouver Island Regional Library
Vancouver Island Regional Library is looking for a Temporary Accounting Clerk to join our Finance Team. This position is located at our Administration Office in Nanaimo.
Reporting to the Divisional Manager of Finance, the Accounting Clerk is responsible for the junior accounting functions of the Library in day-to-day operations including but not limited to preparation of monthly journals, journal entries and reconciliations to produce VIRL’s monthly financial statements. Preparation of special reconciliations and analysis as directed. Prepare and distribute reports for Director of Finance, Executive Leadership Group, Exempt staff and Librarians, as directed.
- Prepare bank deposits and balance to the cash receipts as needed for the Library’s revenues and bank deposit;
- Prepare and balance the cash receipts journal for entry into the General Ledger;
- Record and balance the bank transactions journal monthly for entry into the General Ledger;
- Record manual cheques into the general ledger;
- Prepare bank reconciliations for all bank accounts maintained at Administration;
- Prepare standard and miscellaneous journal entries for entry into the general ledger;
- Prepare any reconciliations and schedules necessary for the production of VIRL’s monthly financial statements;
- Prepare reconciliations and reports for review by Director of Finance, Executive Leadership Group, Leadership Team, or others, as directed;
- Develop and maintain GST accounting records as required and/or instructed by Revenue Canada. Responsible for completing and submitting monthly GST reports to ensure proper payments and the return of allowable rebates;
- Maintain monthly records of provincial sales tax owing on sales and self-assessed PST on out of province vendors. Report PST on library materials to Innovative Technologies and Collections Division and remit PST owing as required;
- Track VIRL’s daily bank balance, and prepare request for Director of Finance’s approval to transfer funds to and from the investment account to cover upcoming expenses;
- Maintain records of charitable donations for reporting to management on a monthly basis, including preparation of Friends of the Library statements;
- Prepare annual return for charitable donations for Revenue Canada;
- Process changes to the Chart of Accounts as requested;
- Maintain templates for reports generated from the accounting system;
- Record sales of VIRL merchandise for inventory records;
- Maintain records of employees paying benefits while on leave;
- Prepare annual letters and quarterly assessments for mailing to the municipalities and regional districts;
- Survey municipalities annually for per diems, mileage, tax, budget increases, and other items as instructed;
- Record branch photocopier data as required;
- Work cooperatively and in conjunction with the Accounts Payable Clerk as needed;
- Other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Good oral and written communications skills;
- Working knowledge of accounting procedures to financial statement preparation;
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office applications e.g., Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint;
- Working knowledge of accounting software programs used in the department;
- Good typing/keyboarding skills.
Required Education & Experience:
- Completion of the second level of a recognized accounting course (CGA) or equivalent to two years relevant post-secondary education plus three to five year’s F.T.E. equivalent working experience and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience; You are required to have a valid BC Driver’s License and will also be required to satisfactorily complete a Criminal Record Check (Working with Children & Vulnerable Adults).
This position is located at our Administration Office:
6250 Hammond Bay Road
Nanaimo, BC V9R 5N3
This is a CUPE Unionized position providing an hourly rate of $28.77 per hour.
Note: This temporary position is scheduled to end on July 31, 2020.
Please reference the Competition No.: CUPE2020-07 in the subject line of your email when submitting your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position closes on Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 4:00pm.
Your cover letter should clearly identify how you have the knowledge, skills and experience to be successful in this position.
VIRL thanks all applicants for their interest in working with us however only those selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
Visit us at www.virl.bc.ca for other exciting opportunities.
Your Voice. Your Library.