The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
Imagine a career with the City of Richmond, a dynamic environment for growth and continuous improvement, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan city, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community.
Temporary Full Time (2 positions)
Duration: November 2020 and May 2021
Job ID: 2020.001
$39.57 to $46.78 per hour
In this exciting role in the Development Applications Department, you will assist in several activities related to current planning and development applications review. Reporting to the Program Coordinator - Development, this professional community planning position requires the incumbent to possess a robust knowledge of planning issues and the ability to apply professional principles and theory to various municipal planning projects. The position is primarily responsible for reviewing a range of land development applications including rezoning, development variance permit and development permit applications.
Examples of key work activities include:
- Analyse complex community planning issues and proposals to achieve creative solutions.
- Prepare community planning policies and bylaws (i.e. Official Community Plan, zoning amendment bylaws).
- Review development applications (i.e. Rezoning, Development Permit, Variances).
- Prepare written reports and materials for Planning Committee and Council.
- Provide research and data management.
- Liaise with City advisory committees, community groups, developers, professionals (i.e. architects, consultants), general public and external agencies.
- Present and respond to questions at Council meetings, Planning Committee meetings, Development Permit Panel meetings, Advisory Design Panel meetings, public meetings, and public meetings as required.
A Master’s degree in Community Planning or a Bachelor’s degree in a related field, with professional certification gained through examination (i.e. CA, P.Eng.) or equivalent degree with a total period of over 1 year and up to and including 2 years’ related experience, preferably in a municipal environment, OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
If you think this is a good fit for you, we invite you to apply today!
The City of Richmond uses an applicant tracking system for candidates wishing to view and apply for available career opportunities. For further details regarding this specific career opportunity, please visit our website at www.richmond.ca/employment Applicants will be required to upload a current resume and provide any supporting documentation relevant to the position (Word format). The closing date for Job ID: 2020.001 – Planner 1 is 11:59pm, on January 21, 2020.
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No telephone inquiries please.