Planning Assistant III - Transportation Planning
Planning Assistant III - Transportation PlanningRequisition ID: 15173
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Planning Assistant III is responsible for helping implement the City of Vancouver Transportation 2040 Plan and related projects across a number of areas including walking, cycling, transit and goods movement.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The Planning Assistant III will be under the direction of a Senior Transportation Planning Engineer (CE2) and report to a senior member within the Current Planning Team. The position liaises with a variety of internal and external contacts on matters related to research, technical support, graphics and consultation.
- Provide research, analysis, communications and graphic design support for projects related to the implementation of Transportation 2040.
- Develop plans, presentations, maps and graphics for Council reports, internal memos and reports, public engagement and internal communications.
- Assist in coordinating the logistics associated with engagement activities, including organizing and participating in public meetings, preparing mailing lists and public notifications, preparing informational and graphic material
- Liaise with staff from a variety of divisions and departments, including Planning, Engineering and Sustainability as well as other Transportation Division branches.
- Collect, organize and analyze transportation and land use data.
- Perform other technical office and field work duties as required.
- Perform other duties to support the branch such as compiling and analyzing time tracking spreadsheets or management of the photo library
- Peform other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent, supplemented by post-secondary training in planning, public policy, or a related field or equivalent work experience
- Sound experience as a Planning Assistant II or equivalent is preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of local transportation issues and transportation best practices.
- Clear interest and passion for transportation and land use issues.
- Familiarity with the City’s transportation network including roads, transit and cycling, as well as transportation policies and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage priorities, meet deadlines, and function as a team player while also working individually with minimal supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and the ability to deal effectively with staff, the public and external agencies are needed.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a diverse group to develop optimal solutions.
- Demonstrated research and analysis skills
- Demonstrated skill in writing, such as professional, clear and courteous business correspondence and/or report writing
- Advanced graphic skills and a demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts into accurate, easily readable products is preferred
- Proven proficiency with analysis and graphic design software packages including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) is preferred.
- Experience with municipal scale transportation planning, policy analysis and street design (walking, cycling and transit) would be an asset.
- Proficiency with ArcGIS and other design software (e.g. AutoCAD) would be an asset.
A current and valid class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a satisfactory driving record is required.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: February, 2020
Position End Date: November, 2020
Salary Information: Pay Garde GR-21: $32.25 - $37.97 per hour
Application Close Date: January 19, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.