Program Assistant I
Program Assistant IRequisition ID: 15796
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Working under the supervision of the Recreation Programmer, the Program Assistant I (PA I) is responsible for a variety of duties related to the supervision of the parent and tot gym drop-in program at the Community Centre.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The PA I will oversee the program while monitoring and ensuring the safety and behavior of all participants. This position may work alone or as part of a team in providing leadership, overseeing activities, performing minor cleaning, janitorial and clerical duties as required. In addition to ensuring the enjoyment of the participants, the PA I will be responsible for the gathering, set-up and take-down of supplies and equipment including an inflatable bouncy castle; monitor activities to ensure the safety of the participants; perform facility checks and report on or take necessary corrective action regarding any unsafe physical or program conditions; effectively work and communicate with other facility staff, parents and patrons; provide minor first aid; and other related work as required.
The shifts for this position are Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:00am - 1:00pm.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of the 10th grade and some related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Emergency/Standard First Aid with CPR-C required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Some knowledge of the behavior, needs and interests typical of young children and various ages.
- Some knowledge of the practices, procedures, and equipment in playground recreational programs and activities.
- Ability to assemble and disassemble toys and equipment.
- Ability to effectively monitor activities and the behavior of groups, including those made up of several young children.
- Ability to provide basic first aid as required.
- Ability to perform minor clerical duties and basic cleanup tasks.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other facility staff, parents and the children visiting the Parent & Tot Gym.
A Police Record Check is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to the position.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: January 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-009: $20.04 to $23.44 per hour
Application Close: January 19, 2020
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.