Landscape Development Specialist
Landscape Development SpecialistRequisition ID: 15373
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Landscape Development Specialist (Inspector) performs specialized work of a landscape architectural and arboricultural nature, including landscape plan review with emphasis on inspection and enforcement of the Protection of Trees Bylaw.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Conducts site inspections and provides advice to a variety of internal and external contacts including arborists, landscape architects and developers.
- Reviews proposed development submissions, including legal surveys, architectural plans and landscape plans.
- Processes and review submissions for non-development and development related tree removal permit applications.
- Reviews arborist reports and tree risk assessments and provides advice and recommendations.
- Performs investigational and evidentiary tasks including inspection reporting.
- Acts as a subject matter witness in a Court of Law.
- Maintains industry certifications and qualifications at the discretion of the Manager.
- Effectively liaise with applicants, staff and members of the public.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an Institute of Technology in Landscape Horticulture or a related discipline plus considerable related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates who are an ISA Certified Arborist; TRAQ certification preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years as an arborist (or equivalent) is preferred, including experience providing tree retention and mitigation options in the municipal development context.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of applicable by-laws and regulations and of the departmental rules, regulations, policies and procedures governing the work.
- Knowledge of arboriculture practices and principles.
- Ability to perform inspectional, investigational and evidentiary duties related to the work.
- Ability to read and interpret technical plans and documents related to the work.
- Working knowledge of the Protection of Trees By-Law and applicable Zoning By-law and Landscape guidelines.
- Working knowledge of the development application and permit process.
- Working knowledge of arboricultural, landscape and construction industry best practices related to tree preservation and replacement on development sites.
- Ability to write inspection reports and communicate effectively.
- Ability to exercise good judgement and make independent decisions on behalf of the Urban Landscape Development team.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
Membership with the British Columbia Society of Landscape Architects is desirable; and eligibility to be certified by the International Society of Arboriculture is desirable.
A current and valid BC Driver’s License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: February, 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-025: $37.97 to $44.83 per hour
Application Close: January 19, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.