City of Surrey
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation.
City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey
We are looking for a permanent full-time Communications Coordinator to join our Web & New Media Team within the Marketing and Communications Division. This role is a great fit for someone who has exceptional oral and written communication skills, who thrives in a dynamic work environment, and who enjoys working closely with a team.
The successful candidate will be joining an award-winning team with opportunities to gain valuable experience and a great chance to work with experienced digital communication professionals.
Recent awards for the Marketing and Communications team include the W3 Award (Silver) for our social media work on the Good Neighbour Campaign and for 6 MarCom Awards for work with the Surrey Municipal Election, New Online Registration System and Nicomekl Riverfront Project.
Regular Full-Time – Cupe 402.
- Coordinates, writes and maintains communications content for the City’s digital communications channels, with a strong focus on social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.
- Manage customer service inquiries and general questions on the City’s social media channels and communicating sometimes complex communications using Plain Language.
- Monitor, respond and engage with the City’s online community as a way to build and manage the City’s brand.
- Works collaboratively on communications projects that involve web, print and/or information-based communications distribution.
- Participate in discussions, engage with the City’s partners and audiences and find new audiences and listening to the current ones
- Work closely with social media and media teams on escalations and opportunities
- Coordinate with other Marketing team members and channels to ensure brand consistency
Our ideal candidate shares our City values of Community, Innovation, Integrity, Service and Teamwork and can demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by a diploma in Communications or a related field from a recognized post-secondary institution plus a minimum of three years related experience; or an equivalent of education and experience
- Knowledge of and experience with relevant computer programs and applications, including, but not limited to Hootsuite, Facebook, Twitter, Twitter Ads Manager, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Drupal, the MS Office Suite and Google Analytics.
- Knowledge of communication principles, practices, methods and techniques related to digital communications.
- Knowledge of media channels and principles related to each medium.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in performing duties of the position.
- Ability to review, analyze and coordinate a variety of communications relevant to the work.
- Ability to prepare a wide variety of communications, documentation, reports and files related to work.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work.
- Keen awareness of social media trends and their potential applicability to municipal government.
- Valid BC Driver’s License with safe driving record.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca