Engineering Assistant III
Engineering Assistant IIIRequisition ID: 15177
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Senior Engineer, the Engineering Assistant III is responsible for performing the technical drafting and detailed layout of proposed water mains. The Engineering Assistant III will support the overall delivery of our capital program to renew and replace aging water system infrastructure and to support development activity, process requests for installation of water service connections, perform the technical drafting and detailed layout of proposed water services, hydrant relocations, and various minor replacements and extensions of the water system. When operationally required, this position will also be responsible for processing Commercial Water Connection permits.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Engineering Assistant III is primarily responsible for preparing technical drafting support for proposed water mains for an engineer’s review and professional seal.
Specific duties include:
- Creating water design construction drawings
- Updating GIS and Topobase as-built information
- Researching and providing technical and other information regarding water infrastructure for the public, city staff and private companies; providing written correspondence as required
- Undertaking quality control processes related to existing GIS data
- Making recommendations to improve branch processes and information access needs
- Performing engineering calculations
- Undertaking related field work
- Carrying out design and construction technical assignments
- Communicating and corresponding with the public, private companies, outside agencies and other City branches
- Coordinating with the survey team to confirm site information, order test holes, and acquire crossing permits from outside utilities and agencies.
- Administrative functions, such as: maintaining a number of branch spreadsheets and databases and checking designs submitted by other branches and outside utilities.
- Initiating and processing commercial water connection permits in POSSE and work orders in Hansen (Connections position)
- Providing feedback and acceptance for commercial water servicing proposals for developments relating to water servicing, water metering, and cross connection control based on established standards (Connections position)
- Performing other technical duties required to meet the operational needs of the Water branch
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of technical courses related to the work plus some related experience as an Engineering Assistant II
- Institute of Technology diploma or completion of equivalent University courses an asset
- Experience preparing AutoCAD construction drawing
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good knowledge of municipal design and construction of water systems
- Prior experience in layout and construction of pressurized pipe systems within an urban context; knowledge of water servicing practices considered an asset
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proven interpersonal skills in establishing and maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships with staff and other contacts
- Ability to accurately read, draw, and interpret engineering drawings
- Ability to work in a team setting with little or no supervision
- Ability to prioritize to meet tight time lines in a multi-task environment
- A valid B.C. driver's license without any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities is preferred
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Number of Positions: 1
Position Start Date: February, 2020
Position End Date: Novemer, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Application Close: January 17, 2020
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.