Planner I (Rezoning)
Planner I (Rezoning)Requisition ID: 15413
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Planner I is an essential member of the Rezoning Centre and works on rezoning applications and major planning projects throughout the city. The work is complex professional city planning in the investigation and development of solutions with regard to planning matters.
The position is responsible for reviewing rezoning applications and for advising on and preparing policy, zoning and guidelines. The position may also work as part of other major planning projects or areas within Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability as required.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads and coordinates the work of an interdepartmental team.
- Provides a range of professional services and some technical support as part of a planning team focused on rezoning.
- Responds to public enquiries regarding rezoning potential, and reviews, evaluates and processes rezoning applications from enquiry through to enactment.
- Establishes collaborative working relationships with community organizations, businesses, residents, property owners, developers and other stakeholders.
- Manages the public consultation process; designs, attends and facilitates community events that could include community forums, public engagement, workshops and meetings (including weekday evenings and weekends).
- Undertakes research and analysis, and co-ordinates and synthesizes input from internal and external review groups and members of the public.
- Advises and negotiates with applicants.
- Presents complex material and information to staff, the public and City Council.
- Prepares rezoning and other complex reports for Council; drafts proposed by-law amendments.
- Prepares and manages work programs, and coordinates the work of junior staff.
- Advises on and prepares policy, zoning and guidelines for area planning initiatives
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- A degree in urban planning, or a related field, recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners
- A minimum of one year professional experience in the planning field with either municipal experience, preferably undertaking rezoning and development application review or private sector experience preparing rezoning and development applications, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience facilitating a participatory public consultation process and negotiating and mediating among various interest groups on potentially contentious issues preferred.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia is desirable.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of urban planning, architecture or related fields of study, and a working knowledge of other subjects applicable to planning work.
- Knowledge of land use, urban design, and policy issues facing the City of Vancouver are important and necessary assets.
- A working knowledge of the City’s Zoning and Development By-law, Official Development Plans and Policies and Guidelines, plus a broad knowledge of City services, programs and processes.Demonstrated ability to work independently and as an effective member of a team; to cooperate with other employees, officials and the public.
- Ability to act in a coordinating capacity internally within the department and with City officials and other interested groups including citizen groups.
- A working knowledge of the City’s Zoning and Development By-law, Official Development Plans and Policies and Guidelines, plus a broad knowledge of City services, programs and processes.
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment and demonstrate professionalism, diplomacy, tact and discretion.
- Ability to organize and coordinate projects.
- Proven effective analytical skills, and verbal and written communication skills, including writing and public speaking.
- Demonstrated abilities in urban design and community planning, including aability to prepare design guidelines and policy documents and to produce and communicate with visual material.
- Demonstrable skills and proven ability in the following software are requirements: word processing (Word), quantitative analysis (Excel), presentations (PowerPoint), preparation of visual materials (Adobe Creative Suite), Urban Design Analysis (SketchUp), and MapInfo.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Number of Positions: 2
Position Start Date: February, 2020
Position End Date: January 2021 and December 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-029: $44.83 to $53.01 per hour
Application Close: January 17, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.