Communications & Strategic Policy Coordinator
Communications & Strategic Policy Coordinator
Job Id: 20-008
Closing: January 26, 2020
We have an exciting temporary full time exempt Communications & Strategic Policy Coordinator position in our Administration Department. This position is expected to be up to twelve months in length. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual.
Founded in 1874, Maple Ridge is one of BC’s oldest communities, but it’s also one of the fastest growing Cities in Metro Vancouver. This tremendous pace of growth creates opportunities for professionals like you to bring your passion and talents to our organization to build our future, your career and your family in one of the most incredible natural settings in BC.
Your skills and talents are the essential element in helping our organization meet the challenges and opportunities of our community. This is a place where you can make a difference, serve your community with pride and professionalism and work with our elected representatives to turn their vision for our community into action. Are you ready to choose your own adventure?
About the Role:
The Communications & Strategic Policy Coordinator is a key member of the team that works to amplify the work of the Mayor’s Office. The Communications & Strategic Policy Coordinator will be responsible for planning and implementing communication activities, providing professional communications services, researching and supporting political perspectives for the Mayor’s Office. This position will ensure delivery of consistent messaging through collaborating with internal departments while working within the media strategy framework and materials that support the City’s strategic and business plans. The incumbent will act as the Mayor’s spokesperson, when required, and oversees public communication including social media. The support will include, planning, organizing and implementing public relations, media relations and social media strategies serving various audiences with a focus on external communications. This position prepares materials and makes presentations regarding projects, policies and programs to various internal and external groups, recommends and develops procedures and guidelines, prepares a variety of reports, records and correspondence; and provides direction to staff.
Interested in this exciting opportunity? Great…..the ideal candidate will:
- Will be self-motivated, proactive, and a team player who can also work independently in a fast-paced and flexible environment;
- Have strength in relationship building, and be effective and diplomatic in interactions with key stakeholders;
- Have a high level of professional ethics, ability to deal professionally and effectively with all levels of stakeholders, including Council, staff and the media;
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building capacity and the ability to work in a collaborative environment;
- Track record of producing clear and compelling content on deadline for diverse audiences, with excellent writing, editing, analysis, and verbal communications skill;
- Have exceptional written and oral communication skills, with the ability to effectively and succinctly communicate complex concepts about diverse public policy, legislative and municipal related issues;
- Experience in communications, journalism, public affairs, or related political science field, knowledge of or experience with the legislative process and the Local Government Act;
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to handle simultaneous priority projects and meet established deadlines; and,
- Thorough working knowledge of computer software packages including HTML, video-editing programs, Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, PowerPoint etc.), Microsoft Publishing or InDesign, Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator, and comprehensive knowledge of Canadian Press Style standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field;
- 3-5 years of experience in journalism, communications, public policy, or international relations;
- Valid B.C. Class 5 Driver’s License;
- International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) or Canadian Public Relations Association (CPRS) accreditation is considered an asset; and,
- Previous related municipal experience will be considered an asset.
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Information Check as a condition of employment. (Note – not required a part of the application process; however, will be required upon consideration for employment)
All required licenses, certificates and registrations associated with this competition must also be valid and current at the time the postings close and must be attached with your application. Please have these documents ready to upload when you apply.
What we offer you:
The City offers a competitive compensation package that includes a strong wellness program and the opportunity for career and professional development.
If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.