Transportation Planning Engineer
Transportation Planning EngineerRequisition ID: 15175
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to a Senior Transportation Planning Engineer (CEII,) the Transportation Planning Engineer supports the planning of local and regional transportation within the City of Vancouver, including planning for improved walking, biking, transit and goods movement. This position will be responsible for coordination and communication between the Transportation Planning branch and the capital project/major infrastructure planning team. This position will also support the analysis and review of transportation policy and program initiatives related to Vancouver’s Integrated Rainwater Management Plan and Rain City Strategy as well as the Climate Emergency Response and the Vancouver Plan.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Supporting transportation planning for the City of Vancouver to meet the needs of residents and businesses over a 30 year horizon at a citywide, community and corridor level and advances specific projects
- Reviewing, conducting and delivering transportation studies and reports
- Coordinating transportation planning goals with capital project planning efforts
- Completing data analysis and modelling and associated reporting of the transportation network
- Reviewing and providing comments/input on major development projects within Vancouver
- Reviewing development plans to identify opportunities to achieve key transportation objectives
- Preparing conceptual designs and related cost estimates
- Participating in public engagement events related to transportation projects or policies, including engaging residents about the benefits of proposed improvements
- Acting as a liaison with other departments and outside agencies
- Keeping current on emerging transit/transportation planning trends and guidelines
- Preparing and delivering technical presentations to the public and external agencies
- Managing consultant contracts and supervising junior branch staff including work plans
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with some experience in an environment related to transportation
- Registration or eligibility to register as an Engineer-In-Training or Professional Engineer in the Province of BC is required.
- Training and / or experience in transportation planning, modelling and network analysis
- Interest and/or training in Urban Planning/Engineering (ie. Master’s degree, certification or course work) preferred
- Experience with some of the following:
- Planning and design of local to regional transportation and transit projects
- Conceptual planning and roadway geometric design including complete streets
- Conducting transportation studies or corridor reviews
- Multi-modal transportation modelling experience in a variety of software such as EMME, VISUM, VISSIM and Synchro an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the City & Regional transportation and transit systems
- Excellent report and letter writing skills including preparing technical documents
- Strong analytical skills and working knowledge of AutoCAD, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills including presenting on complex transportation planning issues
- Ability to understand conflicts and weigh trade-offs, and arrive at a defendable recommendation while exercising sound judgment and discretion
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work well in a dynamic team environment, with little or no supervision
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders, external transportation partners and co-workers
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with multiple tasks of moderate to high complexity and setting/meeting competing deadlines
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: February 2020
Position End Date: October 2020
Application Close: January 24, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.