Manager, Sewers Design Branch
Manager, Sewers Design BranchRequisition ID: 15263
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Manager, Sewers Design Branch provides leadership around key areas of Sewer and Drainage Utility, which include: design of sewer and drainage infrastructure, asset management, pump stations, liquid waste program, flood management, combined water and sewer connections, and technical reviews. The Manager also takes a lead role in proposing all new sewer and drainage utility policy and sewer rates (approximately $120M operating budget) for Council approval
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The Manager, Sewers Design Branch reports to the Director, Water & Sewers – Design, Construction & Operations. This roleworks jointly with the Manager, Sewer Operations Branch to deliver construction projects and operations support; works closely with the Integrated Strategy & Utilities Planning Branch to deliver strategic planning around sewers and drainage; and resolves department issues with Engineers, Survey and Design teams, Planners, Developers, third party utilities, and external organizations such as Metro Vancouver.
The position directly manages 10 Senior Engineers and is overall accountable for a multidisciplinary group of over 60 staff, including Professional Engineers, Project Coordinators, Engineering Design Assistants, Engineering Assistants, Survey Assistants and clerical support staff.
- Delivers the design and construction support for the renewal program of over 2,100 km of linear assets
- Oversees the permitting, design and construction support of the combined connections program
- Responsible for the strategic planning of Pump Stations and forcemains, renewal program, regulatory needs, and operation support
- Oversees the Sewers Asset Management Plan which has over $6B of assets
- Oversees the Sewer & Drainage annual budget and rate setting; 4-year capital plan; and 10 year Outlook
- Provides leadership and guidance to staff, including hiring, assigning responsibilities, evaluating and reporting on performance, coaching, mentoring, training and development
- Oversees the Survey and Drafting services to support design and construction
- Makes decisions on the strategic and policy aspects of the assets supporting shoreline protection, along with design and support of their operations
- Manages the Liquid Waste Program portfolio which includes Sewer Separation on Private Property, Adopt a Catch Basin and Waste Discharge Permits
- Responsible for the technical review of plans from developers and 3rd party utilities
- Maintains, updates and administers the Sewer and Watercourse Bylaw 8093
- Participates in committees and working groups with Metro Vancouver Liquid Waste services; Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability; Development, Buildings & Licensing
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering with a Professional Engineer designation and a minimum of 10 years’ related experience in a senior leadership role in sewer and drainage design and construction, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Registration or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia
- A valid BC Driver’s Licence is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of civil engineering practices and underground infrastructure design and construction practices related to sewer and drainage design
- Extensive knowledge of municipal governments, and regulatory compliance
- Excellent knowledge of EGBC’s Organizational Quality Management processes or other quality management frameworks
- Excellent knowledge of Project Management methodologies, processes, standards and policies.
- Knowledge and understanding of capital and financial management
- Excellent knowledge of management principles, policies and practices including recruitment and selection, leadership, performance and attendance management
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to motivate, engage and mentor staff
- Excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to influence others while respecting the sensitive and political challenges that impact decisions.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive, productive relationships at all levels in the organization and external stakeholders
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Affiliation: Senior Exempt
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: February 2020
Application Close: January 19, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.