THE OKANAGAN LIFESTYLE IS CALLING
Grow your career in one of the best places on earth. Forget the long commute. Kayak or walk on the waterfront at sunrise, put in an honest day’s work, and still have plenty of time for a bike ride or round of golf before sunset. Fill your weekends with wine tours, hiking, mountain biking, downhill or cross country skiing, or boating. Or enjoy one of the many campgrounds within less than an hour’s drive from home.
The City of West Kelowna is a vibrant, growing city located on the west shores of beautiful Okanagan Lake. The City of West Kelowna’s Planning Department is seeking to fill a permanent, full time position of Planner II in our Development Services Division.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Planning Manager, the Planner II will accept, review and assess land use applications such as Development Permit, Development Variance Permit, Agricultural Land Commission, Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw amendments in accordance with City regulations and policies. The position will also provide planning advice and recommendations through Council reporting on a variety of planning projects, development applications and referrals, as well as represent the matters to the City’s Advisory Committees. This position focuses on creating a positive customer experience for homeowners and developers in the development application process, and works closely with the public on inquiries.
Required qualifications and skills:
- Bachelors degree in a planning related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a related position;
- Eligible for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia or the Canadian Institute of Planners;
- Necessary knowledge of local land use policies and regulations, environmental legislation, as well as provincial and federal legislation related to planning;
- Knowledge in land-use planning, environmental information, as well as techniques of analysis and synthesis of information;
- Knowledge of Geographic Information Mapping Systems (GIS); Basic graphic and mapping skills;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written and public presentation experience;
- High attention to detail with superior report writing capability;
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Drivers License.
For more information, please visit www.westkelownacity.ca/jobs. Please apply online at www.westkelownacity.ca/jobs. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
COMPETITION 20-13E | CLOSES JANUARY 27, 2020 | PAY $36.46/35HR/WK (2020 WAGE TBD)