Permanent, and Temporary Positions in Various Locations
Reporting to the Building Manager, the Building/Plumbing Official reviews building plans and permit applications for Building Code and Bylaw compliance, as well as inspecting buildings under construction for conformity with approved plans, building code, bylaw and other applicable enactments. As the Building Officials often work alone and in remote locations, this position also demonstrates a high level of professionalism and integrity when representing the RDCK.
Required Qualifications and Experience include:
- Trade qualification in carpentry and/or plumbing
- Post-secondary diploma in Science or Building Science preferred
- Level 1 Certification with the Building Officials Association of BC, or eligibility to attain
- Member of the Building Officials Association of BC, or eligibility to attain
- Minimum Grade 12 or equivalent
- Satisfactory Criminal Record and Drivers Abstract
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities include:
- Comprehensive understanding of the statutory duties of a Building Inspector
- Demonstrated knowledge of the BC Building Code, National Fire Protection Association Standards and relevant federal, provincial and municipal statutes, regulations and bylaws
- Demonstrated commitment to a high level of customer service, with excellent written and oral communication skills using tact and diplomacy
- Ability to present and explain complex technical information to the public and staff
- Highly organized and detail orientated and able to work independently exercising initiative and solid judgement
- Ability to inspect plans and specifications and ongoing construction to ensure compliance
- Considerable knowledge of building construction methods and materials
- Ability to read and interpret building plans, maps, legal descriptions, rights of way, easements and covenants
- Technically competent with office software including MS Office programs and building management & mapping software
This posting, along with a detailed job description outlining the complete required qualifications and the variety of roles and responsibilities included in this role, can be found on our website at www.rdck.ca under Administration, Jobs & Employment Opportunities. Applications in the form of a resume and cover letter detailing qualifications and experience relative to the position will be accepted by Human Resources at the email address below until 8:00am on Tuesday February 4, 2020.
Human Resources, Regional District of Central Kootenay
Box 590, 202 Lakeside Drive,
Nelson, BC V1L 5R4
Phone: (250) 352-1546
Thank you for your interest in working with the Regional District of Central Kootenay.
All submissions will be acknowledged although only those individuals shortlisted to participate in the interview/testing process will be contacted again.
This posting may be used to fill other similar positions within the RDCK over the next six months.