GIS Specialist - Electrical
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
GIS Specialist - Electrical
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
35 hours per week*
$72,245 to $85,376 annually (2019 rates)
The City of New Westminster’s Electrical Operations is seeking an experienced individual who will be responsible for the complex technical and analytical work performed in support of the Geographic Information System (GIS), which is specialized in its application to the Electrical Department. You will assist in the design and maintenance of GIS and related systems, serve as project leader for GIS project phases, evaluate new software or systems and assist in standards development. In addition, you will also manipulate data for the production of maps and other deliverables, perform analyses and provided technical support and guidance to system users. Considerable independent judgement and action are to be exercised within the framework of established guidelines.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You have completed a geographic information system post graduate diploma program and have considerable related experience, preferably in an electrical setting, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable knowledge of software programs and hardware components for GIS and related systems.
- Significant understanding of the technical information related to Electrical services and to identify required data.
- You have significant knowledge of problem definition and solution techniques applicable to the work.
- You possess considerable knowledge of municipal mapping principles, techniques and materials and ability to perform mathematical, coordinate geometry and survey computations.
- You have considerable knowledge of spatial database design, creation and implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate project objectives and provide leadership on project phases.
- Demonstrated ability to develop tools, scripts, routines and various customizations using defined development tools.
- Demonstrated ability to perform spatial and attribute analysis on diverse data sets using various tools and computer languages and to perform spatial database modeling.
- Ability to perform routine system and database administration tasks.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to create or maintain a variety of records, data and reports.
- Demonstrated ability to provide training, guidance and support to system users.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a range of internal and external contacts.
- Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing and to present proposals in non-technical language.
- Ability to perform assigned duties under minimum supervision.
* This position participates in a Compressed Work Week Program.
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume quoting competition #19-160, by January 24th, 2020 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to email@example.com
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.