Director of Planning and Development
District of Kitimat
Director of Planning and Development
1. Manages the operation of the Community Planning & Development Department including:
Reporting directly to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Director of Planning and Development oversees the planning department and plays an integral role on the District’s senior management team.
About the District of Kitimat:
A master-planned “greenbelt” community on BC’s northwest coast, nestled in the Coast Mountains with a long history of big industry, Kitimat has a solid tax base and the financial resources to offer a high standard of living, excellent municipal services, a good quality of life, and an attractive benefit and remuneration package. We also have residents that recognize and appreciate what good planning can accomplish.
This is an exciting time in Kitimat. LNG Canada is one-year into the largest privately-funded construction project in Canadian history. Our town is on the precipice of a surge of investment in housing, commercial and light industrial space. We are looking for someone who is excited about shaping the future of a place that strives to live up to its tag line: “A Marvel of Nature and Industry”. Come help us leverage development and investor interest into community benefits that will have positive long-term impact.
This opportunity will allow you to live and work in a community on the edge of the Pacific with affordable housing, and good air links to larger centres. YXT (Northwest Regional) is a 40- minute drive, where three airlines offer up to nine flights daily to Vancouver, Calgary and Prince George. Outdoor enthusiasts have boundless access to the ocean, rivers, trails and mountains.
The Strategic Plan for Council’s current term puts the emphasis on (1) managing impacts of LNG project construction; (2) protecting the environment and adopting sustainable practices;
(3) diversifying the economy; (4) engaging with community; (5) enhancing social well-being; and
(6) cultivating a dynamic, healthy and safe work environment.
About the Position- Primary Duties:
- recommending work programs and schedules
- supervising and directing work of department personnel and contract consultants
- issuing requests for proposals (RFPs) and invitation to qualify (ITQs) for planning projects;
- evaluating proposals, selecting and managing consultants on contracts up to and exceeding $200,000
3. Represents the Municipality on inter-agency and intergovernmental technical and advisory committees.
4. Provides technical and professional advice on land use and planning related matters to Council, the Chief Administrative Officer and other Municipal Departments, Council Committees and Commissions, developers, industrial project proponents and the general public.
5. Prepares, recommends and implements both short- and long- term planning strategies -- anticipating situations and/or needs.
6. Responds to all inquiries regarding land use and development.
7. Recommends administrative and Council action regarding development applications for such matters as zoning amendment, temporary land use, and development permits; and ensures application processing occurs in accordance with provincial statutes and the Kitimat Municipal Code.
8. Maintains community statistics and database record information regarding population, demographics, housing, census results and land.
- A graduate or undergraduate degree in planning or a related field.
- A professional designation as a Registered Professional Planner is considered a strong asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant planning experience, with at least 3 of those years being in the municipal sector and include both administrative and supervisory experience in a unionized environment.
- Excellent report writing, written communication, listening, presentation, public speaking, problem solving and verbal communication skills.
- Expertise in provincial legislative requirements/regulations regarding community planning, land transactions and related matters
- Computer skills: Word, Excel, MAIS, PowerPoint, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, website maintenance. Basic understanding of GIS capabilities and applications to community planning.
- Ability to consult and interface with other municipal personnel, agencies, ministries, and the municipal solicitor as required for the performance of duties.
- Be capable of applying standards and best practices of the profession in carrying out assignments.
Applications are due by 4:30 pm on January 19, 2020.
To apply for the position, please submit a detailed cover letter and resume to the attention of the Human Resources Manager, District of Kitimat, 270 City Centre, Kitimat, B.C., V8C 2H7, Fax 250-632-4995 or e-mail: email@example.com. All applicants are thanked for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.