Town of Sunnyside
Sunnyside is located on the east coast of the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador. It stretches eight (8) kilometers along the shore of Trinity Bay in an area known as Bull Arm. The area was inhabited by the native people of Newfoundland known as the Beothuk, and eventually discovered by the explorer John Guy. The area was settled by the ancestors of many of the families living there today. Those families were involved in developing the economy of Sunnyside by beginning the fishing, logging, and mining industries in the community. Over time many residents of Sunnyside worked in road construction and other large construction projects including the oil refinery in Come By Chance and in offshore projects at the nearby Bull Arm Fabrication Site.
Hiring a Town Clerk/Manager
The Sunnyside area is also of great interest to the outdoor enthusiast. Centre Hill and its associated Wilderness Trail is a nationally recognized trail. Centre Hill is an old volcano and the highest point of land in eastern Newfoundland at 384 meters.
Sunnyside is hiring a Town Clerk/Manager (TCM) and is inviting anyone with a passion for local government and a desire to improve the lives of residents and encourage economic growth to apply.
Reporting to Council the TCM is responsible to:
- Perform the statutory duties of Town Manager and Town Clerk
- Supervise management and staff and provide organizational leadership
- Monitor and manage water, sewage and wastewater systems; Public Works services; Municipal Plan and Development Regulations; Fire Department; Emergency Preparedness Plan; and the delivery of services to residents and businesses to ensure the effective utilization of the human, financial and physical resources of the Town
- Act as the principle advisor to Council in the development of public policy
- Provide Council with all relevant information required to make informed decisions
- Ensure organizational strategies, plans and initiatives are aligned with Council’s vision, values and priorities
- Develop a detailed capital and operating budget, forecast and long-term financial plans for approval of the Council and monitor all financial activities of the Town
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of Provincial Legislation and Regulations that affect the policy decisions of Council
- Act as “Coordinator” under Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act
This is a fulltime position with competitive compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications and a competitive benefits package.
The ideal candidate will have Post-secondary education in Business Administration, Commerce, Public Administration, or in a related field, working with elected officials, appointed or volunteer boards. The ideal candidate will have at least five (5) years’ experience in a senior municipal or comparable administrative position. The ideal candidate will also have proven interpersonal leadership, written and verbal communication skills, a thorough understanding of the financial and budgeting processes, and a strong customer service focus. Other candidates will be considered who possess an equivalent combination of experience and training which is acceptable to the Town.
Given the nature of this position and the need to respond to municipal issues in a timely manner when required, preference will be given to qualified candidates who reside or are willing to relocate to Sunnyside.
If you are interested in an opportunity to become part of a dedicated team to provide effective and efficient municipal services and programs, please submit a covering letter and resume. The letter and resume should clearly outline how you meet the qualifications for this position and why you want to work for us, and provide at least two (2) professional references to:
36 Yetman Drive
Mount Pearl, NL, A1N 3A8
Applicants are to submit their letter and resume electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 pm January17, 2020.
We thank all applicants and advise only those considered for an interviewed will be contacted.