The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of approximately 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Fire Rescue Department seeks a number of Paid on Call Auxiliary Firefighters. Auxiliary Firefighters supplement the services of full-time firefighters by carrying a pager and responding to calls as needed. Called to the Fire Hall when the full-time crew is unavailable for extended periods, you may be called to attend medical, alarm, or fire emergencies. You may also be called directly to an accident or fire scene where the full-time crew requires additional support. This role requires a team player, with natural interpersonal skills, leadership skills, effective judgment and decision-making skills.
- Firefighter Training program resulting in the completion of a NFPA 1001 Level I & II Certification(preferred);
- First Responder Level III or EMR License; (preferred);
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent;
- Canadian Citizen; or Landed Immigrant with legal entitlement to work in Canada;
- Reside within a 6 km radius of the White Rock Fire Hall (by the way the crow flies);
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 Driver’s License with a demonstrated safe driving record;
- Abstracts with more than 6 points on their current driver’s license, or any suspensions, prohibitions or multiple non-point offences within the last 5 years may eliminate an applicant from further consideration.
- Must successfully pass a Police Information Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Check;
- Capable of meeting the physical demands of the position;
- Ability to respond to calls regularly and be available to attend practice drills on Tuesday evenings;
- Interest and commitment to providing assistance to those in the community and demonstrated quality of character.
Firefighters represent the diverse nature of the community we serve. The City of White Rock is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage anyone who is qualified to apply. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. We encourage applications from individuals who are available to respond to emergencies during daytime hours. Successful candidates must be committed to two consecutive weekends of training for 8 hours each day on May 2, 3, 9 & 10.
To apply, please submit your online application and supporting documentation by 4:30 p.m. January 19, 2020 to:
Thank you for your interest. Only selected applicants will be contacted
Please note: Only complete applications will be considered.