Corporate Financial Officer
Corporate Financial OfficerPermanent Full-time
***A fantastic opportunity to live and work on Vancouver Island as a Corporate Financial Officer ***
The Comox Valley is an attractive geographic location, rich in agriculture, three vibrant communities, accessible coastline and dramatic mountains. There are spectacular outdoor activities available throughout the region, offering unlimited possibilities to residents.
At the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) we work collaboratively, continually look toward the future and strive to be the change we wish to see in our communities. Our values coupled with a commitment to leadership excellence and a resolute focus on serving the residents of the Comox Valley, help to create an organizational culture that’s second to none. We offer our employees the support to achieve and maintain a healthy balance between work and lifestyle. Working with the CVRD is a plus for everyone.
Due to a pending retirement we are seeking a Corporate Financial Officer to lead our Financial Services team. This is a fantastic opportunity to live and work on Vancouver Island as a Corporate Financial Officer. The Corporate Financial Officer is appointed as an Officer of the CVRD and is responsible for statutory financial administration duties pursuant to the Local Government Act. The position leads the financial, accounting, insurance, procurement, and asset management functions for the CVRD, Comox Strathcona Regional Hospital District, and the North Island 9-1-1 Corporation. The incumbent serves as a member of the Executive Management Team, acts as a key advisor to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), executive and board on various financial matters, and performs a signing officer role for the CVRD, Comox Strathcona Regional Hospital District and the North Island 9-1-1 Corporation.
Reporting to the CAO, the key accountabilities of this role include:
- Serving as a key member of the Executive Management Team
- Providing strategic leadership of financial functions
- Developing and leading the implementation of appropriate accounting policies, systems and controls in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and in compliance with applicable legislation
- Establishing procurement and asset management policies, procedures and standards
- Leading the Financial Services team in the performance of duties, and fostering excellent performance through the provision of training, counselling, coaching and career development
Our ideal candidate is:
- A strong leader with a minimum of 10 years senior level experience in financial and accounting functions in local government, including regional district experience
- Able to provide clear strategic decision making skills acquired through certification and/or experience
- Experienced in accounting, treasury, debt management, investment, budgeting, financial planning and analysis, strategic business planning, procurement and contracting functions and related legislation, standards and processes
- Ability to develop an effective framework for regional district financial functions in meeting work plan goals, statutory requirements, and the needs of the board and other stakeholders
- Able to establish a high level of rapport with the CAO, and elected officials, utilizing judgment and sensitivity in presenting issues and provide leadership/direction in determining appropriate courses of action
- Exceptional consultative, facilitation, consensus building, conflict resolution, negotiation and mediation skills
- A Chartered Professional Accountant, with a Certificate in Local Government Administration preferred
- An advanced user of Microsoft Office with emphasis on presentations and word processing. Strong utilization skills with Adobe Acrobat, Explorer, web utilization skills and SharePoint applications
*** The CVRD is looking to fill this position post April 2020 ***
This is an exempt position and is not part of any union bargaining unit.
The closing date for this position is 3:00 pm, January 17, 2020. To review the complete job description and to apply go to the CVRD website www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/jobs. Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.