Seasonal Outside Workers (Labourer 1)
The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
Imagine a career with the City of Richmond, a dynamic environment for growth and continuous improvement, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan city, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community.
Seasonal Outside Workers (Labourer 1)
Job ID: 2019392
$28.27 per hour
- Do you enjoy working outdoors in all weather conditions & able to perform heavy manual work?
- Do you enjoy working in a collaborative environment & take pride in contributing to the success of the team?
- Do you pride yourself in displaying a strong work ethic & able to work with minimal supervision?
- Are you a self-starter who also possesses a positive and can-do attitude?
If so, we invite you to apply and be a part of our Temporary Full-Time Seasonal Outside Workers for Parks and Public Works Operations!
Our seasonal outside workers perform diversified manual work entailing physical effort and agility in performing semi-skilled construction and maintenance tasks for one of a number of operational departments such as Fleet Operations, Environmental Programs, Parks Operations, Roads & Construction, Water Services, and Sewerage & Drainage.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of methods, practices, and/or procedures related to public works and parks maintenance and construction activities.
- Knowledge of driving techniques and rules of safe operation of equipment and vehicles used.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to the work, as well as safe work procedures, practices, methods, and materials involved in the work performed.
- Knowledge of municipal streets and traffic routes.
- Skill in the care and operation of a variety of power and hand tools, materials, and equipment used in the work.
- Ability to handle various classes of special waste/dangerous goods.
- Ability to drive in non-standard areas and to safely maneuver vehicle under non-standard driving conditions.
- Ability to plan and organize own workload and the ability to initiate operational adjustments based on service needs.
- Ability to work with others and be able to use common courtesy, tact, and diplomacy in maintaining working relationships.
- Ability to carry out oral or written instruction, take direction from a supervisor, and exercise some independent judgement and action in processing assignments.
- Ability to interact effectively and courteously with the public and project a positive image of the City at all times.
- Possess a strong mechanical aptitude.
- Must be able to lift, carry and push in excess of 20kg (45 lbs) on a regular and/or repetitive basis.
- Ability to successfully pass a Police Information Check.
Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by education, training, and/or experience in Horticulture, Arboriculture, Irrigation, Construction & Maintenance, Equipment Operations, Landscape Construction, Turf Management, Paving, Shoring, and other related activities, plus a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence or higher with a clean driver’s abstract.
If you think this is a good fit for you, we invite you to apply today!
For further information regarding position details and to apply, please visit our website at www.richmond.ca/employment.
Applicants will be required to upload a current resume and provide any supporting documentation relevant to the position (Word format). The closing date for Job ID: 2019392, Seasonal Outside Workers (Labourer 1) is 11:59 pm, on January 20, 2020.
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No telephone inquiries please.