Town of Blackfalds
Reporting to the Manager of Infrastructure Services, the Asset Management/GIS Coordinator is responsible for planning, developing, implementing and maintaining the Town’s Geographical Information System (GIS) and Asset Management database. Preparing, drawing and plotting maps, providing technical mapping work and managing the collection, updating and maintenance of asset management databases. This may also involve working with external consulting services.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Collaborator and team player but able to work with minimal supervision.
- Initiator and with strong technical knowledge to assist the municipal services departments in advancing using GIS and Survey technology.
- Proven verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks and deliver within an acceptable turnaround time.
- Working knowledge of AutoCad and/or ArcView, Munisight, and other GIS platforms and resources.
- Knowledgeable of various asset management software applications and has experience in research, design, implementation and management of asset management programs.
- You are a quick learner and promoter of new technologies. The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts is needed.
- Strong organizational and detail orientation skills to ensure the quality of services rendered and adherence to established practices and procedures.
- Conducting editing procedures in ArcMap, working with ArcSDE versioned, enterprise geodatabases, and formatting data to the Spatial Database Standards for municipal data model standards, creating and maintaining municipal metadata format, working with users to troubleshoot ArcMap and ArcCatalog operational processes, entry of data into Geographic Information Systems (GIS) databases using techniques such as coordinate geometry scanning and georeferencing of images, automatic conversion to vectors and conversion of other sources of digital data
- Provides professional services for the design, development, and maintenance of GIS and mapping applications for internal and external stakeholders.
- Performs technical mapping work in the preparation and maintenance of various Municipal base and utility servicing maps, and in recording and computing related non-geographic data using GIS, CAD and other mapping software.
- Manages (coordinating the collection, update and maintenance) of spatial and non-spatial data/information for Town infrastructure relevant to asset management databases.
- Makes recommendations regarding the development, alteration or improvement of workflow processes, procedures, or techniques to better meet Municipal requirements for asset management and CAD/GIS mapping standards and procedures.
- Prepares drawings and maps of varying scale for a variety of engineering projects such as drainage, sewer, water works for engineering and planning purposes using various CAD/GIS software packages and tools.
- Plots maps of various sizes, scales, and process requests for reports or spatial analysis to assist staff.
- QA/QC reviews of drawings and engineering infrastructure assets to ensure spatial accuracy and quality of data to adhere to engineering GIS/CAD standards and procedures.
- Acts as a project leader on assigned mapping.
- Other duties as required.
- GIS certificate/diploma, or engineering technologist diploma with at least 8 years of experience of civil, architectural or electronic engineering design drawings, GPS surveys, geography, and municipal planning
- BA/BSc in GIS, Computer Science, or related field with at least 5 years of relevant experience or a demonstrated equivalency of experience and/or education.
- Municipal mapping experience with strong cartographic experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading the selection, and implementation of municipal asset management database systems
- Experience working with geodatabases, relational databases, as-built drawings, Autodesk CAD software, and scripting and programming language skills.
- Position involves sitting at a desk operating a computer and phones
- Position may also involve standing at a copier or at the filing cabinets for extended periods of time
- Position involves some lifting of file boxes and the related files
- Position may involve lifting of the arms overhead as part of the filing into file cabinets
- Position may involve outside onsite inspections of properties within the Town
- As the offices are located downstairs in the Civic Center, walking down or up stairs is a requirement as the elevator may always not be available
- The work environment for this position is mainly within the Infrastructure and Property Services Office in the Civic Center.
- Work environment will involve field collection of asset information. This will involve walking on unstable ground and in inclement weather.
- This position will also require the visitation to other properties in the Town.
- Travel outside of the Town may be required as necessary (<10%).
This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. This position description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope, the general nature and level of work expected to be performed.
Hours of Work
The hours of work are based a 35-hour work week with the possibility of varying schedules to meet operational requirements.
As of January 1, 2020, and per CUPE 2019-2021 Collective Agreement, Level 22, this in-scope position is $43.09 - $48.50/hourly and includes a competitive benefits package.
Blackfalds is one of Canada’s youngest and fastest growing communities; with a population of 10,125 and a growth rate of 2.11% in 2018. Ideally situated in Central Alberta, midway between Alberta’s two largest urban Centre’s, Blackfalds retains the feel and security of a small-town while being only a short drive from urban amenities of post-secondary education, regional scale shopping outlets and entertainment. Outstanding recreational opportunities, a robust and diversified economy and affordable land and housing are among the factors contributing to our thriving, successful, and dynamic community. If you are looking to be a part of a hardworking and fun loving team in our community, please learn more about the Town of Blackfalds at www.blackfalds.com. We look forward to receiving your résumé!
January 17, 2020
The Town of Blackfalds is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals interested in this position to submit a cover letter and resume to the address below. If applying by e-mail, please ensure your name and the job title is included in the subject line. Position will remain open until suitable candidate is identified.
We remind applicants pre-employment requirements include a Criminal Record Check, valid Class 5 Alberta Drivers License and satisfactory Driver’s Abstract.
We appreciate and consider all applications, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Attention: Human Resources
Town of Blackfalds,
Box 220, 5018Waghorn St,
Blackfalds AB, T0M 0J0
P. 403.885-4677 (ext.6366)