Municipal District of Opportunity
Permanent Full TimeMD of Opportunity No. 17 is currently accepting applications for the position of Finance Controller. This position will be located in Wabasca and is a permanent full-time position with a 40 hour work week (8 hours per day) Monday to Friday.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible to:
- Prepare internal and external financial reports, grant claims, variance analyses, etc.
- Ensure the integrity of the general and sub ledgers by applying accounting related policies and procedures, including reconciliations and journal entries.
- Monitor and review the transactions and entries at cash receipting, accounts receivable, accounts payables, and payroll functions.
- Monitor cash and investment balances to ensure compliance with corporate policy.
- Participate in the budget preparation process.
- Prepare financial analyses for contract negotiations, investment decisions, etc., and provide financial advice.
- Submit tax filings and other regulatory reports, and review taxation matters.
- Monitor financial operations, and accounting and related information systems, and evaluate, troubleshoot problems, recommend, and implement financial policies, procedures, internal controls, and benchmarking.
- Supervise employees performing accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Assist in year end accounting work, including completion of year end working papers and draft financial statements.
- Maintain current knowledge of GAAP, PSAB, government program, and regulatory reporting requirements, and advise/implement as required.
- Perform other related finance duties as assigned by the Director of Finance.
Requirements for this position include:
- CGA, CMA or CA designation is desirable, a combination of other relevant education and experience may be considered.
- At least 3 years work experience in a municipal financial management position.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Excellent accuracy, numeric, analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent knowledge and technical skills in Windows and Microsoft Office programs.
- Experience working in a team environment, and effective interpersonal skills.
- A good understanding of/experience in municipal accounting and reporting practices and standards, and of the Municipal Government Act, would be an asset.
- Ability to plan, organize and complete projects with minimal supervision.
- Familiarity with Great Plains Dynamics, with Diamond Municipal and FRx modules, and with Questica Team Budget, is an asset.
- Evidence of successfully passing a police Criminal Record Check.
The position of Finance Controller is an out-of-scope position. The salary range for this position is $85,069 - $118,928 per annum. MD of Opportunity No. 17 offers a comprehensive benefit package. A relocation allowance may be provided.
Interested persons are invited to forward resumes and applications to:
Loretta Beaver, Human Resources Manager
MD of Opportunity No. 17
Box 60, Wabasca, AB, T0G 2K0
Phone: 780.891.3778 Fax: 780.891.4283
Competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.