Recreation Supervisor – Seniors Services
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Recreation Supervisor – Seniors Services
Parks and Recreation
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
35 hours per week
$61,361 - $72,246 annually
The City of New Westminster has an exciting opportunity for a dynamic, passionate, and service-focused individual. This role is located at Century House - one of Canada's first senior’s centres. Century House is a leading-edge seniors and youth centre that takes a holistic approach to service delivery. The Centre is based on an innovative partnership between Youth Services and the Century House seniors that creates opportunities for both the needs of seniors and youth, as well as inter-generational programs and services.
The Recreation Supervisor - Seniors Services is an integral member of a leadership team who values community relationships and partnerships, service excellence, mentoring and coaching the team of staff and volunteers, working seamlessly with the broader Parks & Recreation team and being a valued resource to other City Departments and committees.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Recreation this role requires exceptional supervisory, facilitation, mentoring, and administrative expertise. It is responsible for managing the development, delivery and evaluation of a wide range of specialized community programs, events, supports and services for seniors. Responsibilities include:
- working collaboratively with community advisory groups, seniors organizations and leaders, other City Departments and the general public;
- facilitating staff teams and volunteers in creating strong interdependent networks and delivering quality programs, services, and collaborative initiatives;
- hiring, planning, directing and mentoring staff and volunteers;
- preparing and managing capital and operational budgets;
- collecting data to understand the community's needs, to inform strategic decision-making, to reach users and non-users, and to demonstrate the achievement of specific outcomes;
- promoting and publicizing planned recreation activities;
- developing and implementing new operational methods and procedures; and
- performing other related work as required.
- A university degree in Recreation Administration or a related discipline, plus considerable related community recreation experience in seniors services including supervisory experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience;
- A dynamic and inclusive leadership style with proven operational experience;
- The ability to build and sustain trusted relationships with community groups and organizations.
- Sophisticated engagement, outreach, and resolution skills;
- Thorough knowledge of community recreation principles and proven practices related to specialized community recreation programs and services for seniors;
- Ability to plan, implement, evaluate and measure diversified service delivery approaches, recreational programs, events, and outcomes;
- Ability to deal effectively and authentically with customers and to use contemporary service excellence principles; establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts; and communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Ability to plan, train, supervise, inspire and evaluate the work of staff and volunteers engaged in programming, clerical and other functions related to the operation of the facility and related program areas;
- Ability to prepare budgets, monitor expenditures and conduct programs within budget allocations and to prepare and maintain reports, records and correspondence;
- Thorough knowledge of the rules, regulations and policies governing the work performed and of the methods, procedures and practices used in the operation of a community recreation centre and related services (including food services) and contracts;
- A valid Standard First Aid and CPR certification is preferred.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-153, by December 18, 2019 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.