Facility Maintenance Worker (Carpentry)
Facility Maintenance Worker (Carpentry)
Regular Full Time, 40 hours per week
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Engineering & Operations Department, Engineering Division, seeks an individual with outstanding work ethic and a safety first attitude to join their team. The Facility Maintenance Worker (Carpentry) is responsible for a variety of projects including but not limited to civic building maintenance, repairs and new installations; including building furniture, benches, sound proofing, or other related renovations required within City facilities plus exterior work such as patios, wooden stairs and decks. The work includes lock installations, overseeing the master key system. Corrective and preventative maintenance tasks of considerable variety which are self-initiated, or from facility service request. The Facility Maintenance Worker must be able to work independently, exercise judgement and initiative, provide recommendations to improve civic facilities, provide cost estimates, review cost estimates, oversee contractors and want to work with a team who share the goal of improving the City.
- A valid Red Seal Journeyman Carpentry Certification (Provincial or Interprovincial); supplemented by knowledge of the City’s and some related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience;
- A valid Locksmith license with a valid security license issued by the Registrar of Security Services;
- Experience with coordinating with contractors, obtain quotes, inspect and review contractor’s work, and make recommendation to supervisor for acceptance;
- Ability to perform skilled locksmith work on door closures, panic hardware, and related fittings as it pertains to the installation, maintenance and repair of locks, keys lock cylinders for the master key system and maintains appropriate records.
- Ability to use and provide instruction on the safe use of carpentry equipment and tools;
- Ability to diagnose and repair carpentry defects and provide advice & recommendations to management;
- Ability to interpret schematic drawings and blueprints;
- Ability to interpret and apply related regulations, bylaws, and codes applicable to the role;
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbal and written, and demonstrate excellent listening skills;
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public and colleagues in a courteous, professional and effective manner;
- Ability to work cooperatively and amicably in a team environment with a safety first attitude;
- Highly motivated and able to work in a fast paced environment with minimal supervision;
- Sound knowledge in setting up and operating wood working machines, power tools and hand tools.
- Sound knowledge in building and construction principles including reading and interpreting blueprints, drawings or models.
- Sound knowledge of locksmith skills such as creating keys, installing and servicing locks, hardware and electronic installations.
- Strong organizational skills to ensure adequate supplies/inventory are maintained. Submits work orders/requisitions and ensures that orders and equipment received are properly stored, maintained and used in accordance with City standards.
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license;
The wage of this unionized position is $77,098 annually (2019 rates) with comprehensive benefits offered. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. Please submit your cover letter, resume, and Journeyman certification for consideration by the application deadline.
Application Deadline: Sunday December 15, 2019 @ 4:30 p.m.
Submit your application: Apply online at www.whiterockcity.ca/careers
Recruitment Reference: 2019-51
Thank you for your interest. Only selected applicants will be contacted.