Commercial Plans Reviewer
Commercial Plans Reviewer
(2 Temporary Full-Time 12-Month Opportunities)
Stretching from Deep Cove in the east to the Capilano River Canyon in the west, the District of North Vancouver is characterized by innovative municipal government that maintains and enhances the quality of life for its residents and businesses. Fuelled by the District’s award-winning vision to build vibrant and sustainable communities for people of all ages and backgrounds, the District offers exciting professional development opportunities and an excellent total compensation package. A flexible, family-friendly employer with an inclusive work place culture, we are looking to fill this position. Come work for one of BC’s Top Employers and contribute to making this a great place to work!
The District of North Vancouver is looking for adaptable, self-motivated, customer-service oriented individuals for two 12-month temporary full time opportunities as Commercial Plans Reviewers. In these positions you will be responsible for the examination and checking of plans and permit applications for commercial, industrial and multi-family residential buildings to ensure compliance to building and zoning bylaws and related regulations including the BC Building Code; and processing of building permit issuances and rejections. You will also discuss construction, alteration and repair matters with contractors, engineers, architects, homeowners and the public; interpret requirements; advise on required changes and/or corrections; and determine compliance.
The successful applicant will have:
- Thorough knowledge of building construction practices and methods, along with thorough knowledge of relevant by-laws, acts, codes, standards and regulations, including the BC Building Code;
- The ability to read and interpret plans and related material to recognize technical requirements, detect errors and deficiencies and recommend changes as required;
- The ability to process commercial building permit applications through a variety of municipal departments;
- The ability to deal effectively and tactfully with a variety of internal and external contacts;
- The ability to prepare reports, records and correspondence related to the work;
- The ability to work with minimum supervision.
You will have graduated from a post-secondary institution with a diploma in Building Technology and have sound related experience in building construction, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Preferred candidates have a BOABC Level 3 certification or an exempt professional qualification under the Building Act. A valid B.C. Driver’s Licence is required.
The hourly pay range for this unionized position is $36.45 to $43.04 per hour based on a 35-hour work week, with the option to participate in a modified 5-5-4 work week.
If you have what we’re looking for and thrive working in a fast paced environment with a group of enthusiastic and dedicated people, we want to hear from you. Please apply on-line with your cover letter and resume at www.dnv.org/careers by Monday, December 16th, 2019 to be considered for this competition.
We thank you for your interest in employment with the District of North Vancouver and advise that only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.