Environmental CoordinatorFull Time
Find out why our AMAZING employees love working for the City of Port Coquitlam!
Affectionately known as “PoCo”, we are an award winning organization comprised of a dedicated team of individuals who care deeply about the community they serve.
The City of Port Coquitlam is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated professional with a strong environmental background to join our team as an Environmental Coordinator. This is a professional advisory, compliance and technical role involving environmental planning and control functions. This position will be responsible for the development of bylaws and policies, will review development proposals, including consultant studies, prepare reports and studies, and coordinate initiatives in support of the City's environmental objectives and legislative commitments.
Key responsibilities include:
- Work collaboratively across City Departments to focus on the development and implementation of environmental policies, initiatives and projects in keeping with the goals of the Official Community Plan for smart, sustainable growth and a livable community;
- Provides expertise, advice and guidance on environmental matters, including best practices, as well as regulatory and other requirements of senior governments or affiliated agencies. Areas of specialty include riparian area planning and regulations, environmental assessments, ecological asset management, GHG emissions, climate adaptation, and fish & wildlife habitat regulations;
- Work in collaboration with higher levels of government, the environmental stewardship community and will support stakeholder consultation, representing the City's interests in external committees;
- Process development applications related to environmental objectives and undertake onsite inspections in accordance with policies, regulations and best practices; and
- Make presentations and engage with a variety of audiences.
If you meet many of the following qualifications then we are interested in speaking with you:
- Strong verbal, written and social media communication skills;
- Ability to build effective relationships and work collaboratively with both internal and external groups;
- Have a Master’s Degree in Environmental Resource Management, Environmental Sciences or similar program supplemented by two years of related professional experience;
- Membership or eligibility for membership in a relevant professional organization; and
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License.
Why should you consider working for us?
- We are a “Goldilocks” size organization where meaningful impact and contribution happens daily;
- We have a strong learning culture and want our people to grow and succeed; and
- We are a diverse, inclusive and supportive workplace.
The terms and conditions of employment for this full time assignment are in accordance with the CUPE Collective Agreement. The annual salary for this position starts at $81,000 (based on 2019 rates) and includes a comprehensive benefit package upon successful completion of a four-month probationary period.
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply online at www.portcoquitlam.ca/cityjobs to access competition number 19-153e by January 3, 2020.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
The City of Port Coquitlam will conduct a criminal record check.