Director of Operations
“Where the Rainforest Meets the Sea”
Director of Operations(Permanent)
Located on the south-western tip of Vancouver Island, Sooke has a sheltered harbor, unlimited recreational opportunities, and is a scenic forty-five-minute drive from BC's capital city, Victoria. As a part of a temperate rainforest, the Sooke district has one of the mildest climates in Canada. Characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, Sooke’s pleasant climate is a year-round paradise for those who enjoy outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, kayaking or sailing.
The District of Sooke is looking for an experienced Director of Operations familiar with all facets of the municipal environment, who can direct the activities of a small but growing staff and bring forward practical solutions to the day-to-day issues that arise in the local government environment.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director of Operations is accountable for the provision of effective leadership, advice and support on engineering, parks and environmental services, GIS (Geographic Information Services), asset management, and wastewater related matters. The Director is responsible for overseeing the overall maintenance operations, planning and design of construction activities associated with municipal infrastructure and related programs. Coordination, direction and mentoring of staff in the Operations Department – including Engineering, Parks and Environmental Services, GIS (Geographic Information Services), Asset Management, and Wastewater divisions – also fall within the Director’s purview. The Director of Operations participates in public and technical meetings and represents the Operations Department at both Council and regional meetings, as required.
The Director of Operations is a position that requires a sound understanding of operational requirements in a municipal setting and must have the ability to think innovatively, to work in a politically sensitive environment and have a proven ability to train and mentor.
To be considered for this role, applicants should have:
- A minimum AScT designation. A Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) designation would be considered an asset, or a combination of education and experience or equivalent.
- Project Management Professional Certification (PMP) would be considered an asset.
- A minimum five (5) years of progressive responsibility working in a local government environment or engineering firm with development management focus and infrastructure experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years of management experience in a multi-disciplined municipal atmosphere.
- Proven experience in planning and managing municipal infrastructure and preparing tenders, RFPs, RFQs, and the tendering process.
- A valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
This is an exempt management position. The salary for the Director of Operations is $136,292 per year, plus an excellent benefit package.
To view the full job description, visit the employment page of our website at www.sooke.ca/employment.
Please quote 2019-014 Director of Operations in the subject of your email, and submit your detailed resume and cover letter outlining your interest and experience for this opportunity to:
Review of applications begins 4:30 pm on Wednesday, January 1, 2020.
The District of Sooke thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.