Survey Assistant II
Survey Assistant IIRequisition ID: 15077
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The primary duty of this position is to assist a Survey Technician in the surveying of City Streets for the design and construction of street infrastructure.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
As a member of the survey team, the Survey Assistant II operates the total station inputting coding required for computer generated topographic surveys. The crew also uses manual surveying instruments and tools and follows professional surveying practices and procedures. Computer duties in the office include; survey data editing and basic drafting using Autodesk Civil 3D, and, data or spreadsheet inputting using Access or Excel. Secondary duties may include such as filing, restocking office supplies, pick-up and delivery work, delivery of Engineering Services notices, etc. The Survey Assistant occasionally operates a passenger car or van.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented with related experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience is required.
- A Diploma of Technology in civil engineering or surveying is preferred.
- Experience in the operation of total stations with data recorders and manual survey instruments
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of surveyor methods and techniques
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proven interpersonal skills in establishing and maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships with staff and other contacts
- Ability to accurately read, draw, and interpret engineering drawings
- Ability to work in a team setting with little or no supervision, and to meet tight time lines in a multi-task environment
Driver License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record are required.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Local area travel and transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Affiliation: CUPE 15
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date:January 2020
Position End Date: May 2021
Number of Positions: 4
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-015: $25.31 to $29.74 per hour
Application Close: December 6, 2019
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our internal careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.