Payroll Accounting Clerk III
Payroll Accounting Clerk IIIRequisition ID: 15233
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The incumbent performs accounting functions reconciling and closing biweekly, monthly and annual payroll accounts including liabilities, receivables and fringe benefit expense pools. The duties include payroll remittance processing, recurring journal vouchers, payroll and timekeeping audits and monthly and year end accruals. The encumbent leverages more advanced reporting and anlaytical skills to develop and implements processes to ensure transactions meet deadlines and are accurate. The incumbent also coordinates and follows up on delinquent accounts.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reporting to the Manager, Payroll Services this position is a key member of the Corporate Payroll team in Financial Services. The incumbent works with members of the payroll team and liaises with Accounting Operations – AP Shared Services and Treasury for payroll remittance disbursements and Financial Reporting for accounting and reconciliations.
- Prepares biweekly payroll remittances and related reports to third party agencies, adhering to strict regulatory deadlines.
- Compiles and analyzes reports to distribute bi-weekly fringe benefits based on personnel sub-areas.
- Analyzes and reconciles all payroll related general ledger liability accounts on a bi-weekly basis. e.g. Canadian Income Tax, CPP, EI, WCB, Superannuation, union dues, various benefits liability accounts.
- Analyzes and reconciles details to all payroll related general ledger receivable accounts on a monthly basis: e.g. safety footwear, union billing, garnishments. Prepares journal entries as required.
- Maintains accounting sub-ledgers on a bi-weekly basis for items such as: monitoring and rehabilitation loans, 98 advance, WCB, detailing employee transactions and adjustments.
- Coordinates ongoing follow-up with payroll operations for deduction set-up and recovery from individual employees of monies owed, while maintaining a high level of confidentiality.
- Responds to employees' and departments' enquiries and provides documentation as requested.
- Coordinates the distribution and compilation of various City payroll programs: e.g. Canada Savings Bond, United Way, VESP, etc.
- Assists in implementing accounting allocation changes to payroll processes. Performs tests to the SAP system as needed.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a diploma program in Accounting or completion of the Chartered Professional Accounting Prerequisite Education Program or equivalent.
- Sound related experience in accounting with a mid to large size company preferably in a union environment.
- Experience working with SAP or a similar complex ERP system
- Payroll related education or experience would be considered an asset
- Must pass an enhanced security clearance
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong financial and analytical skills. Considerable knowledge of the basic principles and standard practices of municipal or business accounting and reconciling accounts.
- Superior knowledge of business office applications including experience with Microsoft Office applications such as Excel and word (intermediate level).
- Ability to prepare varied financial accounting reports including Freedom of Information Act reporting, financial continuity schedules and related analysis.
- Ability to suggest ways and means of improving departmental accounting principles.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with employees, superiors, departmental officials, and representatives from outside agencies. Requires considerable tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail and ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Assist in performing monthly /quarterly internal audit tests and in collecting and reporting KPIs as required.
- Assists in compiling information and calculating taxable benefits for annual T4s. (e.g. mileage, parking, lease vehicles and standby charges)
- Prepares yearend working papers and account reconciliations for yearend financial statements.
- Supports the Payroll Manager in preparing various costing reports and other information requests.
- Performs general administrative tasks: e.g. mail, phone, correspondence, general filing
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Business Plan (1150)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: December 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-020: $30.98 to $36.45 per hour
Application Close: December 6, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.