Nelson Police Department
Dispatcher Career Opportunities
Who are we?
Dispatchers are the first point of contact in an emergency. They take-charge of the situation and provide the caller with a re- assuring voice. Dispatchers are well trained professionals who get people the help they need, when they need it. They work shoulder to shoulder with police officers, fire fighters and other emergency services personnel.
A dispatchers primary responsibility is to initiate the appropriate response in an emergency, whether that be police, fire or medical dispatch.
Are you ready for this challenge? Are you ready to join our team and make a real differeance in peoples' lives?
Are we the right fit for you?
- You don't just like a fast-paced environment, but you thrive in it. You enjoy technology, are adaptable and multi-task with ease.
- You are calm under pressure.
- You really like people and are empathetic.
- You know how to take charge and are good at diffusing conflict. You can be assertive when required, but always respectful.
- You are quick with questions and can summarize information that you hear.
- You are a problem solver.
- You are a team player and consider constructive feedback a means to become better at what you do.
- You have a desire to help people - all people!
Are you who we need?
- You are fluent in English, both spoken and written.
- You can pass a security clearance by the Nelson Police Department.
- You can type at least 44 words per minute. You adapt to technology easily.
- You have graduated from high school. You can work full-time shifts - up to 12 hrs.
- You are resilient and know how to take care of yourself. You are a quick learner.
- You are a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident