Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
NO. OF POSITIONS:
Up to five
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
Up to 40 hours per week*
$28.24/hour + 12% in lieu of all benefits and vacation
This is an amazing opportunity for individuals who are interested in starting a career in public works!
We are looking for hard working, motivated and team oriented individuals to join our Engineering Operations Department. As a general Labourer you will have the opportunity to work in all sections, including Solid Waste & Recycling, Streets & Towing, Water & Wastewater and Parks & Open Space Maintenance. You will work both independently and on a team in the safe operation of vehicles and equipment and completion of various construction, repair and maintenance tasks.
If the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You have a positive, energetic “can-do” approach to work!
- You have completed Grade 12 (or equivalent) supplemented by related experience in construction and maintenance work, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Class 5 Driver’s License with clean driving record is required, however, preference will be given to applicants who possess a Class 1 or Class 3 Driver’s License with Air Brake Endorsement.
- It would be a bonus if you have experience operating Automated Side Load solid waste collection equipment.
- Another bonus if you have completed related courses such as Introduction to Public Works, BCWWA Water Distribution Level 1 and/or Wastewater 1.
- You have demonstrated experience in the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in construction and maintenance work.
- You have knowledge of and ability to follow safety regulations required in the work.
- You have the ability to effectively perform tasks with minimal supervision and to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- You have the ability to maintain effective working relationships within a team environment.
- You have the ability to work effectively and courteously with other City departments and a variety of external contacts.
- You have the ability to provide exceptional customer service.
- You have the physical aptitude to perform manual labour and to work in all weather conditions.
- You must be able to pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
The successful candidates may start as early as January 2020.
*Shifts are scheduled based on operational requirements and may be scheduled on weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-151, by December 6, 2019 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to email@example.com.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.